Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2011, 03:55 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default TIFF files

Hi....

I know there have been more topics about TIFF and PSD files....
I know TIFF files are less big than PSD files.

But what more differences are there? Do TIFF files work the same way as PSD files....because I never used TIFF files before and I always throw them away.

I saw now that TIFF files can be viewed without opening them first in PSE. So I see only advantages in using them (besides the fact that I have to resave them).

And there was a special way to resave which I forgot and can't find at the moment.

Can anyone help me chose what to do?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leontine78 View Post
Hi....

I know there have been more topics about TIFF and PSD files....
I know TIFF files are less big than PSD files.

But what more differences are there? Do TIFF files work the same way as PSD files....because I never used TIFF files before and I always throw them away.

I saw now that TIFF files can be viewed without opening them first in PSE. So I see only advantages in using them (besides the fact that I have to resave them).

And there was a special way to resave which I forgot and can't find at the moment.

Can anyone help me chose what to do?
The resave is done in Bridge I think, and now I'm not sure whether it's available in Elements (as far as I can remember, you have PSE, not PS).

Let me quote the source I used to do it (I don't use tiffs, but you can do this for a PSD-to-JPG batch conversion as well):

"Just select your image, select IMAGE PROCESSOR from the menu bar, choose PSD, JPG or TIF, the quality, the size, the where, add your name in copyright in need...press the button and voila."

And I think IrfanView (a freeware graphics viewer) can do it just as well, in batch too.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I use PSE and save in .tiff all the time. The do work just like a .psd file. They're all layered up just the same!

I just select .tiff from the dropdown box (just like if you were choosing .jpg or .psd). After it generates the full composite, a checklist box comes up. This is were I've just always used what's defaulted, so if anyone know what it all means, let us know! These are what I always have checked:

Image Compression - LZW.
Pixel Order - Interleaved (RGBRGB)
Byte Order - IBM PC
Save Image Pyramid (not checked)
Save Transparency (not checked)
Layer Compression - ZIP

Hope that helps. I thought it was silly that what converted me over to .tiffs was that I could see the preview, too, but I guess I'm not alone!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

No Kate, it's not silly at all....I have twice as much files now for templates, only because I can't see what it is....I think THAT is silly LOL.
So...it will be operation TIFF I guess......but when? Because I really have a lot of templates.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just do ten or so at a time then take a break, it does get done eventually! I love that most designers have both tiff and psd formats so I can just delete the psds. Wish Janet would do that but I guess she's trying to save space or something. Those are the only ones I have to convert now it seems.

tiffs take a tiny bit longer to open (have to unzip) but not anything that makes me not want to use them!

I do love batch processing in photoshop but I don't think PSE has that. That is how I convert a whole folder now.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Does PSE not allow batch processing? PS allows you to use the image processor to do batches of conversions at the same time. Check to see if PSE does that - and you can do your .psd to .tiff in chunks.

The main advantage to .tiff files is that they are smaller when saved correctly than .psd files, so that you can save a ton of space if space is an issue for you. And even if you have a ton of space, it's a better conversion just to give your machine extra breathing room
Old 10-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you can't do the batch processing in PSE, it might be worth it to download the trial version of PS so that you can batch process your TIFF's in Bridge.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone....I am busy doing it now....in the sun in the garden!
And it goes pretty quick as PSE saves the checked boxes after you did it once.
So click click click....