Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd
Default Non-Dairy Meal Ideas and Recipes

Hubby has been having some intestinal problems over the last month or so. His doc has recommended that he be on a fairly bland non-dairy diet for at least a little while, while they try to figure out what's going on. He's also supposed to stay away from acidic foods like tomatoes, etc. He is pretty content to fend for himself and not affect the family's eating habits too much, but I enjoy our family meals, so I want to incorporate his new diet restrictions into at least some of our meals. If any of you have great ideas, I'd love to hear them. Chicken and fish are okay. Red meat should be limited. I'm not sure where pork falls in all of that. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can't have dairy... so for our family meals I usually substitute almond milk or coconut milk if a recipe calls for milk... and I just avoid cheese because I haven't found a substitute that I like. We eat pretty clean though so it's not much of a change... we just eat meat with fruits and veggies for dinner... my favorite butter substitute is Earth Balance Original... totally tastes just like butter
Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Hmmm....lets see....

Chicken/Salmon + egg noodles + green beans

This is harder than I thought, LOL! We love our red meat and dairy apparently.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's hard!

I went on a non-dairy diet after I had my 3rd because I discovered it made my children spit up a TON! So I took out milk and cheese... and it was hard, but it helped tremendously with the spitting up thing. There were some meals I avoided altogether, but most with cheese, I just left it off of my portion.

Here's a couple good summer meals with no dairy or meat:
http://esrecipecorner.blogspot.com/2...and-mango.html
http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipe...ins-style.html
Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm dairy/egg/soy free right now because my baby had blood in his stool.

We eat a lot of chicken baked with salt, pepper and paprika (just a touch) and rice with veggies.

Turkery tenderloin with an italian marinade.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh Lydia! I had to do the no dairy thing when I was nursing my son. SOOO hard! I feel like almost everything has dairy in it! I agree with Heather that meats and fruits and veggies are the easiest. (but no ranch dressing or fruit dip!) I LOVE food, so it was tough!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We almost always have some type of grilled meat/fish and roasted veggies for supper. So there's no dairy in that and it's clean eating. Then we do smoothies for desert. Again, you can easily leave out the yogourt/dairy and use fruit, juice, ice.

We also really like salads. Pasta salad with roasted veggies and chicken strips, Artichoke, palm hearts, tuna, mushroom, olive and tomato antipasti salad with a good dry salami or hard-boiled eggs, a little garlic and olive oil/balsamic vinegar. Avocado, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives with a grilled salmon filet on top and a drizzle of vinaigrette.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds similar to my diet! I'm waiting to have my gallbladder removed and my surgeon recommended a "bland, low-fat" diet. I can't do bland, but I went low-fat (via weight watchers!). I'm vegetarian (mostly), but I brainstormed some chicken dishes below:

Stir-fried veggies in mild honey-garlic sauce, on bed of rice (could add chicken or tofu into the stir-fry)

Sauteed garlic and spinach, sliced chicken breast, grilled on bread. (Spread vegan margarine (like Earth's Best) on the outside),

Oven roasted veggie ratatouille on bed of couscous.

Chicken burger or veggie burger, corn on the cob and crudites and non-dairy dip.

Mild pad thai (omit the hot spices).