Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Hoarders...

sooo I watched this week's episodes while Ella was taking a nap today...did anyone else..b/c I'm disturbed...like deep into my soul disturbed about that family who had grass growing on the roof of their house and had apparently just dumped kitty litter into a recliner for their cats to go potty in

It's almost as if the earth was literally taking the house back from whence it came...there was grass growing on the roof!

I may not sleep tonight.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i havent seen that one but yeah that would be bad. I hate cleaning but even hating cleaning my house will never look like that. I will make myself do it. I just don't see how people live like that.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i haven't seen that one but i saw an episode where the later hoarded food...omg it made me ill...
Old 09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL Nikki...the earth reclaiming the house? LOL!!!

I was ADDICTED to that show for a while, but honestly, it just makes me sick now, especially the episodes with kids.

I have a friend who is uber in-control of everything in her life, but had some unfortunate incidents in her past. As a result now, you'd NEVER expect her house to look the way it does! Not a full blown hoarder...but pretty darn close.

Its their way of having control over a little pocket of the world to make them feel better. I think that psychological need overrides their ability to preceive the home the way an outsider would.

Now I prefer "Intervention"

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I did see that one, but I gotta tell you Sir Patrick disturbed me more. That man was so obviously mentally ill, it was just sad. I felt like they should come haul him away for some help ASAP. As far as the grass on the roof, I had wondered through the whole episode, someone houses are built to have something like that, to help insulate, I don't know if that one was, but some do.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Oh those programmes make we want to clean really bad....hehe!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

That show disturbs me and causes me to go into a cleaning out frenzy (the closet, the junk drawer, etc.). The one I watched the other day included this man who literally had his bed on a pile of TRASH (plastic soda bottles, empty fast food boxes, etc.). I mean I'm into collecting things but geesh...really? I hate trash sitting around and am constantly nagging my daughter about those little straw wrappers from the capri suns...kwim? I couldn't imagine sleeping in all that! Anyway, I just don't understand hoarders; I mean if your house is caving in on you because the support beams can't hold your "stuff" anymore then it's time to clean house!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I think the thing that disturbed me the most was the man said it didn't get bad until his kids were teenagers and then "NOBODY" picked up....ummm excuse me, WHO was the parent when that was going on and who let's their kids stay at home...I mean they didn't move out, run into financial trouble and then move back home....until they are 38 and 39 years old!!! SERIOSULY!!!! I am sorry, there was really something going on in that family! and did you hear the mom say that if the dad had a heartattck that they would do whatever they could to get him OUT of the house before they would let somebody come in to help....just WOW....amazes me...and I am addicted to watching it, I just can't help it.....

I felt bad for the Sir Patrick guy, but was glad that he was willing to just let alot of it go ...except for those creepy dolls....and I agree that he had some sort of mental illness...
Old 09-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The other new one that was on with the family from Hawaii- I cried. Those poor kids.

Sometimes I want to scream "when you collect trash YOU ARE A HOARDER!" Seriously people. It is trash! I know that it is a mental illness but sometimes I think some of these people are just plain lazy.

But the plus side to the show is that it makes my own obsessive behavior look normal.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I did see that one, but I gotta tell you Sir Patrick disturbed me more. That man was so obviously mentally ill, it was just sad. I felt like they should come haul him away for some help ASAP. As far as the grass on the roof, I had wondered through the whole episode, someone houses are built to have something like that, to help insulate, I don't know if that one was, but some do.
I felt the same about Sir Patrick too. The poor guy obviously collected things to make up for the absence of any real people in his life. But he had some stuff that I thought was GORGEOUS! Some of his dolls and things were beautiful!

The other house, well, all 4 of them were just gross.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

PS: I love watching. I love Intervention too. My problem is DH HATES these types of shows, so if he's home I have to bribe him so I can watch them LOL
Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I can't watch those shows anymore... it just makes me really sad.... and scared that I am that way... *do not go into my basement*... My hubby's aunt and grandma are hoarders... not to the point that they have trash around, but they won't throw out a piece of paper or junk mail until they have gone through everything... since I've known them, it has gotten a lot worse. What is really said is that my father-in-law doesn't understand that it is a mental disorder and will just belittle hubby's aunt until she cries... and what is worse is that he thinks he is so smart by sneaking stuff out of there... but he is making the situation worse... aunt knows that and it makes her hoard all the more. Then grandma gets on aunt's case (the aunt takes care of grandma), but grandma is no better... she has dementia and will by 20 packs of t-shirts or 10 cans of coffee... when there are 30 cans in the basement. My hubby already knows he is the one who will have to clean out the house someday... we are so not looking forward to that...
Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

what gets me is the trash hoarders. There was the one that hadn't thrown away anything in over a year. Food containers, mail, newspapers, cans nothing - that is just nuts and bug city.

I know its more of a mental issue than it is anything but man i just couldn't take it.

One lady said she thought she had over 1000 books and I sat there thinking "she needs a Kindle" lol
Old 09-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Stuff is one thing, trash and food garbage is another. I understand it's a mental thing too, but I just don't get how you let the house get so bad that you have to leave it to go use the bathroom!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
Stuff is one thing, trash and food garbage is another. I understand it's a mental thing too, but I just don't get how you let the house get so bad that you have to leave it to go use the bathroom!
this is what gets me too...and when you don't even have running water to brush your teeth or take a showe!!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:

Exactly. The Edmond, OK mom...sorry but I wanted to smack her. I was SO glad to see the organizer call CPS in the Hawaii situation...you've just got to feel for the kids in that situation. Hopefully the parents have gotten it together, and keep it together.
And as for the family with the grown kids living with them...ouch...wow. I think the only worse home I've seen is the one with all of the dead cats inside...and at least that couple was nice (athough disturbed). This family---they just seem like a miserable angry bunch.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never watched this show, but I've just downloaded an episode... is Season 3 just starting?

Huge fan of:

Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjade View Post
I've never watched this show, but I've just downloaded an episode... is Season 3 just starting?
Yes it just premiered Monday night...

Old 09-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

never seen the episode but when my in-laws got a new fridge a few years back they cleaned out their old one before putting it out to the curb and in the door of their fridge was some antibiotics (the liquid kind for babies/kids) that was my daughters from when she was about a year old and she was like 14 at the time. My mil also still has bills/reciepts from when her and her husband first got married because you never know when you might need them. Ohh and the best part because they live in a mobile home they moed in a newer one and moved the old one out I found a school lunch calendar in 1996-97ish from 1981 taped up inside one of her kitchen cabinet. I swear NO LIE!! She does not throw away anything really.

Then my mother watched this old man who saved yogurt containers and milk caps and just odd things like that. he had hundreds of yogurt containers. I guess since they were all clean/washed/stacked neatly it was not so bad...

My sister dated a guy who had so many magazines/newspapers/papers/bills in his bedroom they were stacked six feet tall or taller. he had at last count over 50 classic cars in his backyard he was going to one day replensih and sell. I have seen plenty of people who belong on that show. It is disgusting.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ohhh and my husband and I bought a box fan a few weeks ago and I was taking the box out to the trash to throw it away. it was like 20 dollars for the fan and only had 90 days to return it and he wanted to save the box "just in case". They would take the fan back if it was broken without the box Im sutre and we really did not need the box laying around the house.

My husband keeps every bolt, nut, screw, rivot etc he ever gets. He says oh I might need this exact one one day and if I throw it out well then where will I be. He also made me save every check/money order/receipt for our house which is completely paid off and we have the paperwork to show it has been paid off. I have about 19 years of paperwork on our mortgage payments. Same for insurance, phone bills, power bills, check stubs from work. I have every payrool check stub/summary paper from 1995 to December 2008 and all our tax records from 1992 to 2009 because he insists we save them too.

And this is the best one that absolutely cracks me up. When I met him he wore a size 30waist 30 length. I just last year convinced him to toss those pants since A.they were stone-washed and acid washed & B. he wears a 36 waist 30 length now and probably will never get in a 30 waist again. Some people just cant get rid of stuff I guess. I figure if I have not used it in a year someone else could probably get some enjoyment out of it. The only exception to that is the stuff I collect like my snowglobes or my build-a-bears.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcdaisy View Post
One lady said she thought she had over 1000 books and I sat there thinking "she needs a Kindle" lol
Umm...that wasn't me, but we have um.. a lot of books :P

My hubby doesn't like watching them, either, so I only see them on occasion if they're all gone for the evening.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In the show, I've heard that they bring in teams to completely remove and gut everything and get the house back together... but I wonder how long before the place starts lookng like a dump again? I mean, these people have mental issues... just clearing the place out and making it neat is NOT going to change the mental attitude that the people have. Do they arrange for them to go to counselling and stuff too?

Huge fan of:

Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

They give them after care funds to see therapists and organizers. Most of them take advantage of it, but who knows if they stick with it.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I would LOVE to see a follow up to some of those episodes!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think they did a follow-up show at the end of last season. I didn't see it, but I read somewhere that the vast majority had gone back to hoarding. I used to like the "transformation" idea of the show, but now it's just kind of discouraging.

I always clean like crazy after I watch that show too!

Last edited by DawnMarch; 09-08-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe I need to watch this show so I'll be motivated to clean? lol
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

There is usually a blurb at the end of the shows that say if they started therapy and how they are doing. The family with the grassy roof all refused therapy and were living in a rental hoping to fix their home and get back in, since it was condemned even after the cleaning.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I have grass on my roof. And on 3 sides too. You only know it's a house and not a hill if you approach it from the right angle

I have 1100 books as well. And lets not even discuss the size of certain folders on my hard drive.

I feel sorry for the ones who can't really even live in their homes. I can see collecting and holding onto some things 'just in case' they are needed again but it's got to be a mental issue when it goes beyond a general 'reasonable' level
Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
I have grass on my roof. And on 3 sides too. You only know it's a house and not a hill if you approach it from the right angle

I have 1100 books as well.

And lets not even discuss the size of certain folders on my hard drive
My uncle used to live in a house that I bet was similar to yours, so I know what you're talking about..I used to love to visit him when I was little...but this house I don't think the grass was intentional..I think it was just 40 years of neglect...the roof had fallen in in several places..it was a wreck...

and yes...Sir Richard was sad...he obviously had other issues going on besides just the hoarding.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i stopped watching because its so sad.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So I watched this episode with my DH last night... I'm not watching it with him again. He just kept making snide comments every 5 seconds & drove me nuts!!

Anyways, I could NOT read Gordon at all. One second he'd be saying that he wanted all the stuff cleared out, that he didn't like it, blah blah, then the next saying they may as well shoot him in the head, why are they all in his da** business, he wants them all to leave, etc. Then he's back to being thankful. But I don't think he ever understood that the REASON they were helping was because the house was literally ready to collapse or that if his wife ever had to get to the hospital, she might die in the house... so sad. He said he'd rather die in the house then to let someone in, wtheck??? If the paramedics can't get his wife out of the house, and she died - how do they expect to get her out privately. Kind of gross if you think about what would happen if one of them did happen to die in there.

And wow - I just felt SO sad for Sir Patrick. He definitely needs help, and I was glad to see that he was accepting it. He has a lot of issues, dating WAY back to his childhood. How incredibly sad that he has no one to love and no one loves him. And a *little* creepy about the dolls & little girl, but I'm sure it wasn't a pervert kind of thing... just a genuine shrine sort of thing to keep her memory alive? Anyways - he really seemed to embrace the change and that was nice to see!!

Huge fan of:

Old 09-09-2010, 12:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyb View Post
Oh those programmes make we want to clean really bad....hehe!
I can get through about 1/2 an episode and then I grab the trash can and start throwing things away!!!! So funny!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I remember seeing the follow up I think it was at the end of last year. That young guy that lived with his alcoholic father was doing great, and his father had pretty much stopped drinking too. It was very inspiring to see the changes they had made, and that they had come so far, from such hopelessness, ya know?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Gordon, I think didn't want to be living like that. He could get rid of stuff, but he was proud. So horribly embarressed, hence the get out stuff. Plus he seemed very protective of his wife, who was the hoarder. So he kept getting pissed. That was my read on him. Proud, protective and embarressed, hence the mood swings.

Yeah, the neighbor girl and dolls creeped me out bad, too.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
I'm disturbed...like deep into my soul disturbed about that family who had grass growing on the roof of their house and had apparently just dumped kitty litter into a recliner for their cats to go potty in
This week was the first time I'd ever seen the show and I was in such shock. It made me feel really, really sad! I just can't even begin to fathom that not only was this a husband and a wife who had no problem living in those conditions, but also their two grown children? Really scary... major denial! All four of them--completely psycho!

I saw the kitty litter, too. At least that's what it looked like! And I swear that earlier in the show, the husband had been sitting in that chair... like it had just been covered over with newspaper and no one cared. Oh. MY. word.

What made me really sad is that when the show was over, it said that Sir Patrick had had a minor heart attack. I hate to think that it was because of the decluttering. Sure, that guy had issues... and there were lots of bugs in his house... but I think his obsession to collect what he thought were pretty things was kinda okay.

I don't know if I can watch more of this show. It's really disturbing to me. I can't just watch and not feel for these people...

Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

i used to torture myself with hoarders and intervention, but eventually instead of making me feel better about myself, it dragged me down. i vividly remember the epi where there was a family with a couple kids- and the youngest had never known any condition other than that. he'd never walked on the bare floor in their home. he climbed on dressers and other furniture to navigate around the house. i.just.can't.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Last year, we discovered that we had some moss on the roof of the cabin. The roof is not old (not yet 10 years - guaranteed 20 years) and water is not infiltrating, but it was the big maples surrounding the cabin that caused this moss. We have to go up to the roof and pressure wash it each year to remove it. However, on Hoarders, it really seemed to be neglect.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love watching this show because it gives me motivation to keep my house clean lol
Old 09-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We watch this show and I watched the one with the couple from Hawaii but not the one with Sir Patrick. This show grosses me out but I can't stop watching it.

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 09-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Location: Hi Ya'll:) I'm a transplant from the "states" to Interior Alaska-

OMG, that's really really sad But, it is like a train wreck you don't want to watch, but you can't help it...
Old 09-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't seen that episdoe but I have watched a few. I was appauled at a few of them. Esp the one where there was a 3 or 4 year old little girl living in the house & she literally had to sit on junk & trash if she wanted to play with her toys (even IN her own room). I felt so bad for her. You literally could not walk on any of their floors (carpet, tile, hardwood, ect). You walked on a layer of crap on the floor.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I saw it and what ticked me off was that man's attitude with all the people helping his family. And WTH is wrong with them, they need to kick their adult kids OUT of the house. Well, they all lost their house since it was condemned, but those adult kids are now living in a small apartment with their parents and FOUR cats!! Argh!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I really think it is a mental illness. When my grandmother died on New Year's Eve this past year, I was there. I stayed to help my mom clear out her house. It literally took us TWO months. I am NOT kidding. Here is a small list of what she had in her house:

6 gallon sized ziploc bags full of USED diabetic testing supplies
13 boxes of diabetic testing supplies (all unopened)
10 plastic bags full of used prescription bottles (she refused to throw them away)
7 BIG boxes full of nothing but QVC receipts
12 boxes full of credit card statements (she had four credit cards)
26 Donna Downey art kits from QVC (all opened)
11 storage boxes full of crochet year
34 plastic boxes full of beads
15 boxes of material
180 paperback books
47 different computer games (some of which had never been opened)
10 boxes of Philosophy - the Grace line (all unopened)
6 boxes of different Philosophy lines
12 boxes of craft paints
10 boxes of vials of glitter
1 big storage box full of assorted batteries
12 different sets of dishes
4 different sets of China
5 sets of silverware
4 computers - 2 desktops and 2 laptops (the laptops were still in the box)
2 printers

This isn't counting anything from the kitchen. She had TWO refrigerators full of food and one stand up freezer packed to the brim as well as canned food all over the house. We literally took 48 bags of trash to the dump. We donated hundreds of cans of food to the food bank, and the Salvation Army was really LOVING us, because we made daily trips there with clothing and other things.

We packed up things that we wanted (mostly keepsakes etc) and gave a bunch away to her hospice caretakers. Then we had a house sale and we made $8000 from that.

The only difference between my grandma and the people on that show was that my Grandma was at least organized in her hoarding. Even the trash that she saved was sealed in ziploc baggies.

Last edited by Paula; 09-11-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
Even the trash that she saved was sealed in ziploc baggies.
I love that!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I love that!
LOL So did we!!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

O.M.G. That Hoarders last night -- the one with Robin -- was by far the worst one I've seen. How does one get to the point where you go to the bathroom in plastic bags for years and store the bags in your living room?

That show is getting depressing, not to mention nauseating.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
O.M.G. That Hoarders last night -- the one with Robin -- was by far the worst one I've seen. How does one get to the point where you go to the bathroom in plastic bags for years and store the bags in your living room?

So sad that after all that work the house was condemned and torn down and the woman refused any more help.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I missed it because our Dish was down. Does anyone know when it will repeat?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You can watch it in parts on A&E:

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/video/index.jsp

Hulu has most of the episodes as well:

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=hoarders&st=0
Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post

That was the worst I'd ever seen. How do you get to that point in your life? And then not get any help when it's offered? I guess if you don't walk in people's shoes, you can't understand, but I suppose I'll never understand.