Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Tablets for Kids

Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any input on tablets!! I'm trying to google for reviews and recommendations.. I'm not having the best of luck. Chances are I'll be buying this tablet through Walmart or Best Buy as they usually have the best deals. My 9 year old daughter who usually takes METICULOUS care of her expensive electronics (by that I mean she's likely to pummel anyone who touches her DS or iPod) and keeps them up and put away, had her ipod broken (screen shattered but still works) when her younger sister dropped it outside on a stepping stone. I felt so bad because she sneaked it out of the house and instantaneously dropped it before my fiance and i could do ANYTHING... I felt sick to my stomach. I have been tossing up the idea of a tablet for about 8 months now because I know she reads on her iPod, plays games, googles things she has to study for school. I thought a tablet would enable her to look into more educational things too.

Long story short. I don't know which way to go. I'd like to stay around $80, but I understand that you get what you pay for. I've been reading reviews for HKC 7" tablet, the Visual Land 7" Prestige and also the Next book? I'm NOT sure which way I should go because they all seem to have more positive than negative comments... and I ALWAYS worry that either positive or negative comments might not even be the whole truth and nothing but the truth...

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!
Full Time Photographer & All the Time Mother
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a Kindle Fire, so more than you are planning on spending if you go new, but you may be able to buy used or refurbished. We love the parental controls on it. You can set a time limit for how long they can play games, watch shows, or read. DH rooted ours so it looks just like his Android phone.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, no! My 7 year old has a Kindle Fire, too, and it's perfect for him. (And for us, since we use the parental controls to keep him from making in-app purchases or accessing websites without permission.) We use the Kindle store instead of Google Play, but everything he'd want is there. I second the suggestion to look into a refurbed one. I don't know how much they go for refurbished, but I recently bought a refurbished Kindle Touch and it has been perfect so far. (Better than my original Kindle Touch, which I bought new.)
Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Oh you ladies!!! Yeah, $89!!! Awesome! She will pee herself silly... can you play angry birds or subway surfers and games like that?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Nevermind, found my answer. You ladies are a lifesaver, this is so much better and reputable. YES!!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

we also have Kindle Fires... for both our 7 and 4 year olds. totally love'em and worth every penny. i also subscribe to the Kindle Free Time Family Plan [i think it's called] and it's about 6-7$ a month for up to 6 devices [i think]. totally worth it! it comes loaded with tons of age appropriate books, learning and gaming apps. they rotate them out fairly often and haven't had to buy a single app since i got it [though on occassion have gotten them a few freebies]. parental controls are a snap and i'm also a total Nazi Mom... my kiddos aren't allowed to watch any videos/shows on theirs and can't get online at all [EVER] with them. period.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Sweet I'm sold. Now I just have to sell the Fiance, lol. He has a 7 year old... and idk how he feels about getting her one. She isn't AS careful as my 9 year old... we will see. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

they have some really great kid-proof cases available for the Fires on Amazon. my 4 year old broke his first one [shattered the screen] but has yet to destroy the second one with the spiffy new case ;]
Old 10-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You've decided, it looks like, but I'll also vouch for the Kindle Fire. My 2 year old has dropped it countless times (and yes, we have it in a pretty solid case, but it's also popped out a few times) and it's still working beautifully. It has so many great app options. We don't use FreeTime (I just set parental controls so he can't access web or purchase without a password, and take it away when time is up), but I've heard nothing but great things about FreeTime!

New Siggy Coming Soon