Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Weird thing I noticed...

So, my 2 bottles of expensive perfume ran out simultaneously. And I decided I didn't love either anymore and wanted to switch to something different. I spent weeks testing samples at Sephora and department stores but nothing really impressed me. So, right before Christmas I decided to switch to something fun and cheaper and instead of having one or two fragrances I should start buying bottles of body splash and Bath & Body Works. I loved having more options.

For Christmas, DH bought me several more bottles and a single bottle of lotion (which, I don't love... since it's humid here and my skin is FAR from dry). Now I have a nice collection of body splash spritzer type thingies.....

BUT

They don't last! They don't seem to stick all day... or even for a few hours. Whereas the one lotion DH got me does. I can catch a scent of it on me all day long. The thing is, I bought the body splash because a friend of mine smells AMAZING all the time and that's what she wears.

Is it just me? In your experience what type of fragrance lasts on you all day? Lotions, sprays, or do use always use fine perfumes? I'm wondering if it's a body chemistry thing...

Old 01-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ask your DH if he can still smell in on you after you can't. My theory is if you can't smell it on yourself, it's right for you. For years I wore the same expensive perfume and could never smell it on myself, but others could.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
Ask your DH if he can still smell in on you after you can't. My theory is if you can't smell it on yourself, it's right for you. For years I wore the same expensive perfume and could never smell it on myself, but others could.
Oh wow... I never thought of the fact that other people might still smell it on me. I kind of feel bad if they are, because I re-apply it a couple times each day. I guess with my old perfume I would catch the scent of it occasionally, and I actually liked being able to. Maybe it's just that the B&BW stuff is cheap??? lol...

Old 01-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think those body splash type mists are as potent as a regular perfume because with my allergies I'm super sensitive to normal perfume (going through the cosmetics sections of department stores practically kills me, haha) but I've used the Victoria Secret brand sprays just fine. Might not hurt to ask someone else though so you're not potentially smoking everyone else out with your scent.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I use the B&BW mists and think the same thing. I put it on in the morning, then again later in the afternoon and again if I go out at night. If I layer with the body wash and lotion I can smell it all day.

I think they just aren't as strong as perfumes, but with me I get headaches from perfume whereas I don't with the mists.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't worn perfume in many years. :/ I ran out and never got more and before I knew it.....here I am YEARS later and no perfume. LOL I do use those sprays every so often from bath and body. I think of those more as fresheners though. I tend to use them when I am between events and want to feel fresh. For example......when I clean the house like a mad woman and need to run to an appointment. Don't want to smell like bleach so I just spray that stuff and hope it helps. LOL
Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
have you ever sat by an old lady that is just so potent with her perfume? this is why! You get use to it and stop being able to smell it so you probably do smell like it, you just don't smell it

Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use perfume and even when I can't smell it anymore I know others can because I've had people ask me towards the end of the day about it. But then I've been using the same perfume for like 13 years, I'll be screwed if I ever have to get a new one.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
have you ever sat by an old lady that is just so potent with her perfume? this is why! You get use to it and stop being able to smell it so you probably do smell like it, you just don't smell it
Haha, YES!!! Although I always assumed it was because her sense of smell was not as keen as it once was. Like her eyesight, and hearing... etc.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If I recall correctly, it's called anosmia (sp?) and has the same effect on things like candles-- if you've been burning the same candle or warming the same wax for a bit, you'll no longer smell it, but someone who just walks in the door could still go "Oh! Your house smells so lovely"

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 01-17-2014, 01:10 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

I find that different scents react with your body chemicals better than others and those are the one you can smell yourself at times. I used to wear an expensive Ralph Lauren perfume and then I discovered a few scents from VS and a few from Bath and Body and I know they smell and last just as long as my expensive perfume because the ladies at work are always saying you smell good, what is it and when I say a body mist they can't believe it smells that much and lasts that long. Though if I go out another time during the day I freshen my body mist up but don't smother myself in it. At least I know I don't stink and don't apply too much. I think it takes finding a scent that works well with your body chemistry

Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE Philosophy lotions! They last all day and smell AMAZING! My favorite is Unconditional Love. They are a little pricy at $40 for a bottle but you will feel and smell amazing! They aren't oily either so no breakout worries!! And they are skin firming and we all need a little help with that! lol

Last edited by Summer_Mom3; 01-17-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:07 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

It called neural or sensory adaptation and can occur with all five senses. Basically, it's a reduced sensitivity to stimulation (in this case, scent) because of repeated presentation of it. It happens with touch where you can go into cold water but, after you've been in the water for a while, it doesn't feel as cold. Since the stimulation is constant, the brain decides it's not important and stops reacting to it. It prevents over stimulation by constantly reacting to every stimuli you're exposed to.

You may not be able to smell the scent but those around you - who haven't been exposed to it for long will...and chances are, if you keep reapplying those are the people who are going to start looking for the bottle to hide it. I work with someone who keeps applying her perfume throughout the day because she can't smell. You can smell her coming up the corridor before she turns the corner...and there's always a lingering scent of where she's been. Unfortunately, it's not a very pleasant perfume.

Last edited by JuliaM; 01-17-2014 at 02:21 AM.