Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-18-2022, 09:25 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default What would your name be?

I thought a lot about what to name my design business and couldn't come up with anything better than LJS Designs, although I did consider "Let's Just Scrap" as a tag line based on my initials.

It bothers me that my business name is not very creative, so I still think about it, or overthink about it, nine years later. Which leads me to my question:

If you could own your own business doing your dream job, what would you name it?
Old 08-18-2022, 09:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was a designer for 5 or 6 years and my name was Leaving a Legacy Designs. Hubby and I have thought about starting a podcast for our travels using Leaving a Legacy Travel. Tag line in my journaling on templates: A great place to tell a story and leave a legacy. How will they remember you. Write your story and share your legacy with your friends and family.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:59 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Mine is my name. Boring maybe but I haven’t regretted it.

That said, years ago I wanted to make custom scrapbooks for people and wanted a creative name but all the good ones were taken. I loved More Than Memories.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:41 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not very good with coming up with something creative...

I would probably choose something short that everybody can remember or a catchy short phrase like Crush it! or something silly like that lol
Old 08-18-2022, 06:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would just go with my forum name Craftytam and add Creations - Craftytam Creations
Old 08-19-2022, 07:56 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
I was a designer for 5 or 6 years and my name was Leaving a Legacy Designs. Hubby and I have thought about starting a podcast for our travels using Leaving a Legacy Travel. Tag line in my journaling on templates: A great place to tell a story and leave a legacy. How will they remember you. Write your story and share your legacy with your friends and family.
That's a great name for a memory keeping business.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:00 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn7 View Post

That said, years ago I wanted to make custom scrapbooks for people and wanted a creative name but all the good ones were taken. I loved More Than Memories.
More Than Memories is good.

Using your name is not boring at all -- it is the perfect representation of you. I thought about using my name, but as stupid as it sounds, at the time I thought my name looked "pretentious," that I was calling out attention to myself. It was stupid because that is exactly what it should be doing, calling out you and your designs. I thought about changing it when I came to SSD, but also felt established as LJS, so I didn't. You are so right not to regret using your name.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:00 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I'm not very good with coming up with something creative...

I would probably choose something short that everybody can remember or a catchy short phrase like Crush it! or something silly like that lol
Branding is always a good way to go.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I would just go with my forum name Craftytam and add Creations - Craftytam Creations
That is creative.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

For me, being a designer IS your name. I admired the work of Zoe Pearn, Heidi Swapp, Dani Mogstad, and many many more who I will always be able to Google by their name and find what they are creating now. I also adored Basic Gray scrapbooking designs... but who was that, even? I don't know who designed for them. Being known by your name (or your initials) is your signature on the art you create. So it's never been a question for me. I want people to know my style and what I create by my name- that way no matter who I design for, or where I go, or what business I start, I can be followed by my name.

If anything, Lorie, you can evolve your name into something you really love. Like:
LJS Designs by Lizzie Jane Smith
(sorry... I don't know your full name so I made one up... haha)

or:
Let's Just Scrap Designs
(and have LJS as an alternate logo/mark on your packaging)

Old 08-19-2022, 05:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
For me, being a designer IS your name. I admired the work of Zoe Pearn, Heidi Swapp, Dani Mogstad, and many many more who I will always be able to Google by their name and find what they are creating now. I also adored Basic Gray scrapbooking designs... but who was that, even? I don't know who designed for them. Being known by your name (or your initials) is your signature on the art you create. So it's never been a question for me. I want people to know my style and what I create by my name- that way no matter who I design for, or where I go, or what business I start, I can be followed by my name.

If anything, Lorie, you can evolve your name into something you really love. Like:

or:
Let's Just Scrap Designs
I was thinking the same!
Lorie when I see LJS Designs I immediately associate the name to you and know I enjoy what you do!
Old 08-19-2022, 05:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I had thought about focusing on photography after I retire from the military for many years, but the entire industry is overly saturated now IMO, so, I no longer consider that. When I was though, I wanted to name my business Blue Bird Photography by Mari. My son's names mean Victory of the people thus blue like blue ribbon and dove thus bird.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I wish I'd have gone with my name when I originally set up shop, but now I don't know that I want to go through the trouble of re-establishing myself. So for now, I'll stay as Ponytails. I did add a tagline to my logo several years ago (Digital Designs by Natasha) but that's not really seen anywhere but my website.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I 'sorta' started a cupcake & printables business- with the name Homemade Amie. Since I pretty much made everything homemade- from my cupcakes to my invites, stickers, etc. My silhouette actually has vinyl cutout that says it! lol I've not done much with it (the business) lately because I am just so busy with the kids' stuff but maybe once they fly the coop I'll have more time to devote to those fun hobbies I like to do!
Old 08-22-2022, 08:29 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post

or:
Let's Just Scrap Designs
That makes so much sense, Brook, which is probably why I never thought of it that way. lol
Old 08-22-2022, 09:01 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap-therapy View Post
I was thinking the same!
Lorie when I see LJS Designs I immediately associate the name to you and know I enjoy what you do!
Thank you. That's great to hear and makes me feel good.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 08-22-2022 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:03 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponytails View Post
I wish I'd have gone with my name when I originally set up shop, but now I don't know that I want to go through the trouble of re-establishing myself. So for now, I'll stay as Ponytails. I did add a tagline to my logo several years ago (Digital Designs by Natasha) but that's not really seen anywhere but my website.
Your name is so cool, it would look great, but I understand about the work involved.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:05 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I 'sorta' started a cupcake & printables business- with the name Homemade Amie. Since I pretty much made everything homemade- from my cupcakes to my invites, stickers, etc. My silhouette actually has vinyl cutout that says it! lol I've not done much with it (the business) lately because I am just so busy with the kids' stuff but maybe once they fly the coop I'll have more time to devote to those fun hobbies I like to do!
Since you make some delicious looking cupcakes and beautiful paper good, I am sure Homemade Amie will be a success once you have time to devote to it. Can I ask why it isn't Homemade by Aime?
Old 08-22-2022, 09:09 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I had thought about focusing on photography after I retire from the military for many years, but the entire industry is overly saturated now IMO, so, I no longer consider that. When I was though, I wanted to name my business Blue Bird Photography by Mari. My son's names mean Victory of the people thus blue like blue ribbon and dove thus bird.
I like it and like that it would have had a lot of meaning behind it for you. In addition there is the added benefit that the bluebird represents happiness, so you could have used that in a tag line or something, like, "capture your happy moments."
Old 08-26-2022, 09:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn7 View Post

Back in the day (2008-2010), I had a scrapbooking for others business and my company's name was "More than a Memory Scrapbooks," haha.... .

Old 08-26-2022, 11:25 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Back in the day (2008-2010), I had a scrapbooking for others business and my company's name was "More than a Memory Scrapbooks," haha.... .

Oh so it was you! 😂 I was living in Wisconsin at the time too and knew that similar names were already taken.