Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-04-2022, 11:09 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Spring break

It’s spring break here for my youngest DD. We wanted to go out of town to a warm place but it’s month end for my hubby at work and he can’t get away. DD is disappointed because all of her friends are out of town. Hopefully we can figure out something fun to do here.

Today is going to be a more practical day. I have scheduled eye appointments for both of us and maybe we’ll go to lunch after. She wants a new swimsuit so maybe we can go swimsuit shopping this week too.

Do you have any plans for spring break? Any ideas for staycations?
Old 04-04-2022, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had Spring Break last week and went on a college visit to CA! It was our first time to CA and we have a fun time! First time my daughter had seen the Pacific Ocean.

As far as staycation- play tourist in your own area! Go to a museum, the zoo, a hands on exhibit, eat at a park, try a new to you restaurant, take on a project you have been wanting to do for a while (repaint her bedroom, pick out new bedding etc). Play movie night- pick out a new movie you both want to see, make the room as dark as possible, make up some popcorn, buy some special snacks and have a movie night! Good luck, and have fun!
Old 04-04-2022, 12:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We don't get a traditional spring break for my son's school. They do get a few extra days at Easter.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm still salty about this.

We were supposed to go to the Toledo Zoo this past weekend but I got sick Thursday evening + it was forecast to be cold (like winter coat cold) with the possibility of snow/rain, too. My youngest has never been and was really looking forward to going. We'll go later in the month, when it's warmer, but that means we have no fun plans for Spring Break. I will probably take the kids to bowl or something tonight or tomorrow night before their dad picks them up for the rest of their break.

We do our annual staycation mid- to late July. I take a long weekend from work, and the kids each pick one day trip/activity (no more than 2 hours away) they want to do. We fill in closer-to-home things on the other two days. The petting zoo/safari and the beach are usually on the list but we'll see what we end up doing this year. We discussed spending a weekend in Chicago (which would technically be a daytrip) as my kids have not been to the Field Museum or the Museum of Science & Industry yet.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I live in Central Florida, so I am avoiding all parks and beaches for another week or so lol
Old 04-04-2022, 02:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nothing planned... we homeschool so school as usual. My dad had hip surgery last month, so we will take him to PT for two days as my uncle who usually took him is in Spain. My husband had switched companies last fall and for the first time ever, he will have Good Friday off.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have no great plans and the weather is yuck here in MI. The best part of everyone else going away is... everyone else is gone. Traffic is better, we went out for breakfast Saturday and there was no wait. Our local botanical gardens has a big live butterfly exhibit going all month and it will be bonkers during the day but they've got some extended evening hours this week and nights are usually much tamer so I'm hoping to take advantage of that.
Does your movie theater have day showings during the week? That's usually 30% cheaper by us that evenings so maybe you see a movie? If you were going to pay for lodging south, maybe you could spring for a night at a local hotel with a pool? Any waterparks nearby?
Old 04-04-2022, 03:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our spring break was a couple of weeks ago March 14-18. We took a road trip to New Mexico and a step into Arizona to Tucson. We hiked several National Parks and monuments.

I don't know where you live but you can do a search for short road trips near where you live, find some fun new spots in town to eat or go for a walk. Go for dessert or coffee at a fun coffee shop.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:35 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We don't, but our grandson just returned from Florida for his Spring Break.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Our spring break was in early March...complete with 11 inches of fresh snow. I don't know why the school district makes it so early, now would have been a better time with longer days & more enjoyable outside weather.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This week is our Spring break too! We don't have any plans really- mostly because my daughter gets her braces off tomorrow (Wednesday- right in the middle of the week) and then she has a softball tournament Fri-Sun. My son has a hockey camp that same weekend and my husband has a local mens league hockey tourney too. Thankfully my in-laws can take my son to Wenatchee while I'm with my daughter in Kennewick (all about a couple hours away from home!)

As far as staycation ideas- each kid chose something they wanted to do- my daughter wants to go for a hike- so that's Thursday. My son wants to go to a movie- Wednesday's plan. Also for dinners, we've been a bit mor relaxed & just ordered pizza, fridge cleaned (aka leftovers/fend for yourself) and have gone out one night.

MY to-do list (since I'm also off work this week!) was to change water in the hot tub (did that on Sunday) and paint our entire upstairs- including the ceiling. I'm not sure why I thought this would be fun to do myself- it would have been great to just pay someone- but I'm too cheap. So I'm on my 3rd day of painting & should be done today or tomorrow- but it's our giant stairway... so that's a bit intimidating!
Old 04-05-2022, 01:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Our spring break is the week after Easter. My daughter is going to Universal Studios in Flordia with her dad and stepmom. As I found myself childless for the week, I thought I would do something fun too! I am going to spend the week in San Diego with my sister! I am looking forward to the warm weather and the beach!

41. Seattle
Old 04-05-2022, 02:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepscrappin View Post
It’s spring break here for my youngest DD. We wanted to go out of town to a warm place but it’s month end for my hubby at work and he can’t get away. DD is disappointed because all of her friends are out of town. Hopefully we can figure out something fun to do here.

Today is going to be a more practical day. I have scheduled eye appointments for both of us and maybe we’ll go to lunch after. She wants a new swimsuit so maybe we can go swimsuit shopping this week too.

Do you have any plans for spring break? Any ideas for staycations?
Awesome ideas... thanks!
Old 04-05-2022, 02:58 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
I live in Central Florida, so I am avoiding all parks and beaches for another week or so lol
I don't blame you for wanting to avoid those areas... I can only guess how crazy spring break is in Florida!
Old 04-05-2022, 03:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
We have no great plans and the weather is yuck here in MI. The best part of everyone else going away is... everyone else is gone. Traffic is better, we went out for breakfast Saturday and there was no wait. Our local botanical gardens has a big live butterfly exhibit going all month and it will be bonkers during the day but they've got some extended evening hours this week and nights are usually much tamer so I'm hoping to take advantage of that.
Does your movie theater have day showings during the week? That's usually 30% cheaper by us that evenings so maybe you see a movie? If you were going to pay for lodging south, maybe you could spring for a night at a local hotel with a pool? Any waterparks nearby?

oh yes, the traffic is definitely better with more people out of town.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest is a senior in high school, so we wanted to do a big vacation before he's on a different schedule than my younger 2 and family vacations get harder. (Summers won't be an option because that's when we go visit family. Our 2 family vacation times are weeks he won't have off, so we may be limited to shorter vacations closer to home when everyone is available.) We also haven't gone on a bigger family vacation since 2018. We're in Puerto Rico this week and having such a good time!
Old 04-05-2022, 08:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My middle son (15) is going to Palm Springs with some friends. The rest of us are renting a condo at a local-ish resort for a long weekend (about an hour away). It was a last minute thing because we couldn't make anything else work. It's about 10 miles from the ski slopes, so we will probably go skiing for a day or two. I'm hoping my oldest will be able to drive and spend a day or two with us since he has to work part of the time. The second half will be a mix of doing stuff locally.

We did a staycation for mid-winter break (and pretty much all other pandemic breaks). I think a lot of what you can do depends on where you are. The weather is pretty unpredictable for us, so that ends up dictating what we do. The only time take a staycation is if I think I will have excessive vacation time I can't use another way, otherwise, I'd rather use it for travel.

I hope you find something fun to do!!
Old 04-08-2022, 02:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My son is about to graduate from college, and this year he chose to work and take it easy, which is what he did throughout college. So, no more Spring Breaks for us!
Old 04-08-2022, 03:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
My oldest is a senior in high school, so we wanted to do a big vacation before he's on a different schedule than my younger 2 and family vacations get harder. (Summers won't be an option because that's when we go visit family. Our 2 family vacation times are weeks he won't have off, so we may be limited to shorter vacations closer to home when everyone is available.) We also haven't gone on a bigger family vacation since 2018. We're in Puerto Rico this week and having such a good time!
Oh Puerto Rico sounds fun!

I hear ya on trying to get schedules with the college kids (DS, DIL, DD#1) and the younger kids to match up. It's been super hard for us and now that my son is married, it's even harder because we have to share them with her family.

We've decided to do some family vacations when it's best for us living at home (hubby, me & DD#2) and if the others can come, they're welcome but it's just too hard to get that many adults on the same schedule.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
My middle son (15) is going to Palm Springs with some friends. The rest of us are renting a condo at a local-ish resort for a long weekend (about an hour away). It was a last minute thing because we couldn't make anything else work. It's about 10 miles from the ski slopes, so we will probably go skiing for a day or two. I'm hoping my oldest will be able to drive and spend a day or two with us since he has to work part of the time. The second half will be a mix of doing stuff locally.

We did a staycation for mid-winter break (and pretty much all other pandemic breaks). I think a lot of what you can do depends on where you are. The weather is pretty unpredictable for us, so that ends up dictating what we do. The only time take a staycation is if I think I will have excessive vacation time I can't use another way, otherwise, I'd rather use it for travel.

I hope you find something fun to do!!

Staying at the ski resort sound fun! I hope your oldest will be able to join you. We had to do that once when we went to Moab. Aspen had to work on Friday, so she and Megan drove down to Moab together and met the rest of us, so she wouldn't have to come the 4-5 hours alone.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We went to Vegas! Now I need some Vegas kits.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have a week long break after the first and third quarters, as well as a long break for Christmas at the end of the 2nd quarter and summer break at the end of the fourth quarter. I think it is so logical to do breaks at those times, and I don't understand why all school districts don't do it that way. As a teacher, it seems really dumb to have a week long break during the quarter. It takes so much momentum to get back into a routine for me.

This year, though, my husband had a work trip the first half of our spring break, so we just went to the beach for the day with some friends who were camping. Ari, my 9 year old, is a fish and would never come out of the water if we'd let her. The boys hate the beach (blame it on growing up on an island!), but they were troopers and swam and snorkeled and we all had fun.

Last edited by joelsgirl; 04-08-2022 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepscrappin View Post
We've decided to do some family vacations when it's best for us living at home (hubby, me & DD#2) and if the others can come, they're welcome but it's just too hard to get that many adults on the same schedule.
I know that day is coming, but I'm not ready for it! My HS senior would rather stay home than go on vacation anyplace, so I know there's a good chance he'll start opting out of family vacations as soon as he can. I'm hoping he'll feel differently once he isn't living with us full time, but we'll see.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We just got home from Spring Break, this was first trip we'd taken on spring break since 2017.

It always seems like a mass exodus here in Michigan when our spring break rolls around and everyone heads to Florida. LOL!

I'm from Florida and like it fine, but don't care for the crowds. We went to Branson, MO with some side trips into Arkansas, Kanas and Oklahoma. On our way home we stopped and spent the night in St. Louis and had a few other things we'd thought about doing there, but the weather just got cold and nasty toward the end of the week.

We had a great time, I'd recommend Branson for anyone looking for a family trip, just not in April, the weather was hit or miss. We've done Pigeon Forge a couple times for Spring Break and the weather has always been perfect.