Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-21-2020, 04:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Washer/Dryer

So my dryer died and can not be revived, so I need to purchase a new one. I've had the washer repaired twice now and thought I might as well get the set, so I need some recommendations.

I want a stainless steel drum, large capacity, high efficiency that isn't going to end up stinking, (what's that all about anyway?) and something that is relatively easy to get serviced. Has to be a gas dryer.

I don't want a front loader and I don't need to operate it from my phone. I don't necessarily want it to be computerized because I see future problems with that.

Basically, I just want something that is going to clean and dry my clothes in a relatively short amount of time. I also want it to last.

So, do you know something that fits the bill? If so, share it with me, please. I hate shopping, period, but shopping for big ticket items gives me the hives. There are too many choices to make and I need help.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I literally just bought these for our new house

Old 02-21-2020, 08:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Speed Queen is the brand every appliance repair person I know suggests. When my 10+ year old set dies, that's what I plan to replace them with
Old 02-21-2020, 09:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yikes. I wish I could help you but mine is a front loader and I love it.

I looked up and found this. Maybe it will help you make a decision?
https://www.reviewed.com/laundry/bes...shing-machines

When we were looking at Washer/Dryers I went to Home Depot and spoke with the people and then researched everything, looked up reviews and finally found the one we picked.

Buying a new washer/dryer is a huge commitment. I hope you can find one that fits your needs and lasts a long time!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought Samsung, but my sister told me she heard (after I bought them) drums in the washer can dislodge and shoot up in the air or something. Yikes! I do like the see through top, though--I always wondered what went on in there.

And, one thing that bothers me about the dryer is the door is lower to the ground. I used to be able to put my basket up against the dryer and open the door so that any clothes that came tumbling out would fall in the basket. Now I have to open the door first and then move my basket.
Next time I'll do my research and take a tape measure with me to the store. lol
Good luck with your search!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh yikes...

Sorry, I cant help... I have an LG washer and dryer that we love. The dryer is electric and my washer has the computer .... Hope you find a good one!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 02-22-2020, 08:13 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Ladies, for the recommendations. I did some more research and think I am going go with GE as a brand. I wish I had a Home Depot that would deliver to me because the prices look better, but they don’t come out this far unless I pay a huge fee that wipes out any savings, I am going to go today and get it done and out of the way.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Front loaders can stink because the seal is so tight that if it's closed before it dries out it can get mildewy. But they hold so much and wash so well - love mine!!
Old 02-23-2020, 03:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We just bought a Samsung set from Costco. Consumer Reports rated them the highest. I have a front loader because my mom can't reach into a top-loader. So far, we like them a lot!
Old 02-23-2020, 04:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
Front loaders can stink because the seal is so tight that if it's closed before it dries out it can get mildewy. But they hold so much and wash so well - love mine!!
Ours has a feature with the door that it "looks" shut, but it really isn't. It allows the air to flow through it and dry the inside to prevent the smelly/moldy inside. I really like that feature and am glad we got it with our set!
Old 02-24-2020, 11:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Ours has a feature with the door that it "looks" shut, but it really isn't. It allows the air to flow through it and dry the inside to prevent the smelly/moldy inside. I really like that feature and am glad we got it with our set!
Which one do you have that has that feature? I love front loaders too but don't like cleaning the seal.

Tammy, that was a good idea to look on consumer reports!
Which model is it if you can recall? I'll be looking to replace the top loader that is in the new house we just bought.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
Which one do you have that has that feature? I love front loaders too but don't like cleaning the seal.

Which model is it if you can recall? I'll be looking to replace the top loader that is in the new house we just bought.
I have this in white:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...0HVA/207024881

And this is the coordinating dryer:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...100V/207024882

We bought them 4 years ago at Home Depot. When we did Consumers Report rated them in the top 10 with energy efficiency, water usage and overall product. It was an investment for us, but a good investment. Because we bought the large capacity washer, I can do all of our laundry in one load. Before I was doing laundry every day to keep it down and manageable. With this set, I do laundry on Mondays and that includes everyone's dirty clothes, bedding and all the week's worth of towels (we use several sets a week). I love these machines. We are debating about selling them when it's time to leave here and get a newer model or wait until he's out of the Army and getting a normal size load machine set.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I have this in white:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...0HVA/207024881

And this is the coordinating dryer:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...100V/207024882

We bought them 4 years ago at Home Depot. When we did Consumers Report rated them in the top 10 with energy efficiency, water usage and overall product. It was an investment for us, but a good investment. Because we bought the large capacity washer, I can do all of our laundry in one load. Before I was doing laundry every day to keep it down and manageable. With this set, I do laundry on Mondays and that includes everyone's dirty clothes, bedding and all the week's worth of towels (we use several sets a week). I love these machines. We are debating about selling them when it's time to leave here and get a newer model or wait until he's out of the Army and getting a normal size load machine set.
Wow!! That’s insane how much clothes you can fit in it!!
Old 02-24-2020, 11:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post

LOL! Okay, I was wrong... we bought LG! :P Hehe! I remember going back and forth about it.
LG was the highest recommended by CR. The WM3900HWA, WM3500CW & WM3460CW had the best ratings.
We got the WM3900HWA.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:27 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Interesting about LG being ranked so high. I have LG TVs, but I had an LG refrigerator an it was a piece of crap, so I stay away from the appliances. I went with GE. My dad worked there all his adult life, so I guess I have a sense of loyalty to them. lol

Here is what I got.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
Interesting about LG being ranked so high. I have LG TVs, but I had an LG refrigerator an it was a piece of crap, so I stay away from the appliances. I went with GE. My dad worked there all his adult life, so I guess I have a sense of loyalty to them. lol

Here is what I got.

Oh wow... I hope our washer & dryer fare better than your fridge!! Your sense of loyalty totally makes sense. Is that your laundry room?!
Old 02-25-2020, 12:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Oh wow... I hope our washer & dryer fare better than your fridge!! Your sense of loyalty totally makes sense. Is that your laundry room?!
Ha, I wish. LOL It is just a pic I found that showed the washer and dryer.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Ha, I wish. LOL It is just a pic I found that showed the washer and dryer.
Oh, haha!! I wish, too!!
We just put a backsplash in our laundry room. I wanted to go with black & white, but the counter had too much blue in it, so this is what we went with:
Old 02-25-2020, 02:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Glad you got something you liked Lorie! I also wish my laundry room looked like the picture you shared. lol

Thanks Tammy for sharing the models you got!
Old 02-25-2020, 07:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Here is what I got.

Yikes, I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with LG in the past!! Glad you finally decided on one!!! Yay to having clean clothes at home again!!