Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Is Backblaze the way to go?

Hi there!

I was looking at options on how to back up my photos, supplies etc. I did a search on here and most said Backblaze, wondering that's still the option you guys choose?

Thanks! Have a good day!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I know some people have had problems with it, but I've had only good experiences with Backblaze and still use them.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I quit using Backblaze after there was a problem with my files. It was a known issue with them apparently, and there was no way to recover the files. So, I had to start my initial backup over - like 3 years after I started using them. I figured if I was going to have to redo my initial backup anyway, I was going to research my options.

Since then, I've switched to Crashplan, and I'm much happier. I even upgraded to the family Crashplan, so we can back up all of our computers in the house.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I recently researched them all again and concluded that Backblaze was the right one for me. It seems it really depends on what features you are looking for since I read great things and horrible things about all of them!
Old 12-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Crashplan as well here. I love that I can backup my EHD and it won't delete that backup even when my EHD isn't plugged in.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmm a tug a war between blackbaze and crashplan, both cost the same monthly, but if i don't like it, i can cancel anytime right? and do they bog up the computer?

Old 12-16-2014, 05:52 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

We've been really happy with Backblaze, but I don't think you can go wrong with Crashplan either.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use Crashplan and love it.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've had to download my files from Backblaze twice, adn here is what I don't like about them. They seem to back up all of the folders first AND THEN THE FILES, not folders & files together, so I thought, "Phew, All my files are intact" since just by looking it seemed that they were all there. But all the time I open up files from my EHD that only have one or two papers or elements, and it si SOOOO disappointing! And I kept my EHD plugged in all the time, so it totally should have been backed up.

Plus I've been backing up my new EHD since July, and it's STILL not backed up on Backblaze. : ( Even though their customer service is great, I can't recommend them because they don't seem to get my files backed up in a timely manner.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

we have crashplan... I like that they back up from the computer... however it's taking forever... haha... I need hubby to look at the settings - it says I have 499 days left... that's not right - we have had crashplan since they came out...
Old 12-16-2014, 07:46 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I have Crashplan. I have it set to use 80% of my CPU when I'm not present, turned off my screensaver, and left my computer on all night for about a month. I was able to back up 1.2TB in about 1 month by doing that.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I use Crashplan as well, with the same settings as Julie and mine was fully backed up in about three weeks. I'm very happy with Crashplan.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have Carbonite but I don't think they back up my EHD. Which happens to be where all of my scrapbook stuff is. So periodically I put everything on my computer from my EHD. It is an inefficient process I've got going and I should look into Crashplan if they back up EHD.

I do like that you can access all your files from Carbonite from a mobile app. Can you do that with Crashplan?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I use Carbonite. I like to be able to access my files from any computer anywhere. Carbonite does offer EHD backups but it's a more expensive plan at $99 per year vs. $59 for the regular one.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i use back blaze and had to restore everything from my EHD about a month ago ... everything worked with no problems. i should look into crash plan though and just compare - i am terrified of losing everything on my computer!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 12-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
I quit using Backblaze after there was a problem with my files. It was a known issue with them apparently, and there was no way to recover the files. So, I had to start my initial backup over - like 3 years after I started using them. I figured if I was going to have to redo my initial backup anyway, I was going to research my options.

Since then, I've switched to Crashplan, and I'm much happier. I even upgraded to the family Crashplan, so we can back up all of our computers in the house.
Ditto this. I too had file problems with BackBlaze and switched to Crashplan.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

if you pay by year crashplan is on sale for 4/month right now instead of 5.99

I use backblaze but I hope to get a new Mac within the next couple of months and I think I am going to switch to crashplan

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 12-17-2014, 10:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Please don't take I'm complaining... my hubby was working on my computer a few weeks ago and had changed the settings - he had it like 30% when I'm away from my computer from like 11pm to 3am... that is why it looks like it's taking so long to upload. Oy! luckily it's not my only back up for my laptop - 99% of the stuff is backed up on the personal server and that is also backed up on crashplan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
we have crashplan... I like that they back up from the computer... however it's taking forever... haha... I need hubby to look at the settings - it says I have 499 days left... that's not right - we have had crashplan since they came out...
Old 12-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I switched from Backblaze to Crashplan last year. I'd been happy with Backblaze and found it fast enough, but the reason I ended up switching was that when I used Backblaze I had to buy separate software (not connected to Backblaze) to run my local backup. With Crashplan, the same software can manage both my cloud backup and my backup to EHD.

No matter what service you go with, I'd recommend keeping a local backup as well. It can be expensive (if they mail you a drive) or time consuming (if you restore manually) to get everything back from any of these services in the event of a crash. But they're great for filling in the gaps if you have a crash and it has been a few weeks/months since you backed up locally. I also love having it as an insurance policy of sorts in case anything took out both my HD and my local backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
I do like that you can access all your files from Carbonite from a mobile app. Can you do that with Crashplan?
Yes. I have the Crashplan app on my Android phone and will occasionally download through it. Just confirm they have it for your phone platform.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Another Crashplan user here. I switched to them after using Backblaze. I had somehow deleted an entire folder of photos and when I finally discovered I had done this (probably many MONTHS later), Backblaze did not have the files anymore. If something is deleted from your computer, they may delete it from their servers 30 days later. Crashplan NEVER deletes files, so long as you keep your subscription. Earlier this year, my surge protector failed and my iMac experienced a power surge during a thunderstorm. The whole computer was ruined. We had to replace EVERYTHING in it and lost all our files. I opted to order the restore drive from Crashplan once my computer was fixed to speed up the restore process and it was so easy to restore my files.

Also, since I had the subscription from the computer before this one (not the one that failed... a different computer), I occasionally find I'm missing files from when we transferred files between computers. I can still go restore those files from my old computer because they never deleted them, even though I got rid of that computer a year ago.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for your replies, I went with crashplan. Glad to know it's normal for it to take forever to backup lol, I'm on day 3 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-28-2014, 11:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by monia13 View Post
I use Carbonite. I like to be able to access my files from any computer anywhere. Carbonite does offer EHD backups but it's a more expensive plan at $99 per year vs. $59 for the regular one.
So I just looked at Carbonite's website and they cannot back up an EHD on a Mac. That seems weird to me. Looks like I will probably be switching to Crashplan. Too bad I already paid for Carbonite through July. I doubt they will refund me.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How much internet data does online backup service like Crashplan use at least during the initial process? I am considering it but the fact I only get 80gb of high speed internet a month makes me wonder if it is even worth it.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 12-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure Jennifer but I think you can decide for yourself in the settings maybe?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ok i did try crashplan for 3 days but was taking forever... so i took a break from that, is it normal to take that long?

Old 12-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yep, any of them that you use could take weeks for your initial back-up depending on how much stuff you're backing up. I had it take a couple of months the first time on Backblaze before I got faster internet & a new computer.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't checked the progress on my new Crashplan yet but Carbonite took months!
Old 12-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ok thanks! i started it back up today and seems like its almost done with my ehd