Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm
Default Can you "gift" digi kits?

I'm wondering about something...

I shop (too much!) usually several times a month, which gets me several duplicate free kits. I already have both the summer nights and berry fine day. I know I will probably shop again before the specials are over but since I already have them.... I don't bother to download them again.

So my question is, is it a violation of the TOS to give those duplicates away as a one time gift?
Old 06-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately, you may not gift digi kits to someone else. They are for one time purchase and for your personal use only, not to be shared.

But it is sweet that you want to
Old 06-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

thats a drag, doesn't seem fair. If I went to the store and got several free gifts with purchase, I would be able to give them to someone.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:17 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

It does feel like a bummer- but the problem is that they're in digital format, and not tangible goods. 10000000 copies could be made (not saying that you would do this) and that really hurts the artist in the long run. If it was a physical piece of paper that you weren't able to use and you gifted it to a friend it would be different, kwim? Robin is always awesome about giving refunds when you duplicate an order by accident though :]
Old 06-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like to think of it like this... If I had a coupon for a free gift with purchase, I would use my coupon, and get my free gift in exchange for the coupon. On my next purchase at that store, I wouldn't have the option to get a free gift with my purchase because my coupon had already been redeemed. Many of those free gift with purchase deals are one per customer anyhow. You are awesome for looking into it before just assuming it's okay and passing it on. I commend you!!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I see what you are saying Janelle, but I don't quite agree with that analogy because this isn't a one per customer coupon. I will of course honor the SSD's TOS but the reality is that either you are honorable about a TOS on digital products or your not. I think someone who is going to share, is going to share regardless of the TOS. Honest people (like myself who have so much respect for artists in general, as I am in the art field myself would not do that).

For me, I place several orders a month. When they are over $10 or $15. a free gift for purchases over those amounts entitle me to those free gifts. It's not one per customer, its one per order over X amount. So say over the course of a month I could in theory be entitled to those free several times every month. The same as if I went to the supermarket and they were running a buy one get one free special for the week on cookies. I could go on monday buy a pack of cookies (or ten packs of cookies) and get extras free, no coupon needed. I could do that all week long. Id have a big pile of free cookies and probably need to wear stretch pants. LOL

I shop on other digital sites, and more than one of them allow for gifting a kit under the agreement that that kit is for one persons personal use, not necessarily the person who paid the bill. I realize every site has it's own TOS and Im totally cool with abiding by the rules. I LOVE an respect the designers here and spend more time here than any other site.

Really I'm not trying to start any trouble or anything other than just having a conversation because I saw a girl post on FB who was bummed she didn't get the new freebie kit who said if she realized it was available, she would have bumped up her order. So this is all just hypothetical.

To me it's two different things... gifting to a person, is different than sharing, plus I earned those extra free kits by placing multiple qualifying orders. I wish the free stuff rotated every week with the new releases. Although I would still probably accumulate several of them since I love all the SSD designers so much its hard for me to pass up kits I like!
Old 06-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I agree with you that for the most part, honest people are going to abide by the rules and sharers... well... aren't. I think it's more about not wanting to open a can of worms where people can share in some circumstances and not in others, because then the rules become muddy and confusing. Even in changing our TOU to allow S4H a few years ago, we kinda created a monster where people interpret the rules the way they want to interpret them and come up with questions and loopholes that we could have never imagined. I can see the same thing happening here... "I earned the free kit, but it isn't something I would ever scrap with, so is it ok if I pass that along to someone else?" and so on. Sometimes it's easier on our sanity to stick with yes & no, black & white.

I am always happy to refund or substitute products for duplicate purchases and I would LOVE if you could pass along to the girl on FB that I'm happy to combine smaller orders and send freebies to people if they placed both orders in the promotional time period too. We really do want our customers to be happy and I try to go the extra mile for whoever gets in touch with me.

Thanks for bringing this up. It is a worthwhile scenario to ponder.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I will pass it on. There is nothing to refund/return, I just place too many orders LOL I usually place my orders when I either can't resist something, or for a specific project, so from week to week that can change and I end up placing multiple orders. Feel free to motivate me to place bigger orders by making more kits for different levels of purchase (spend 25 get X... spend 40 get Y... or even better... maybe a bonus coupon good for a free something of our choice for spending XYZ would be really cool )

I know what you mean about TOS. I've been designing and manufacturing art rubber stamps for about 18 years. In that field there is usually an "Angel Policy" attached stating what the purchaser can use the stamps for. Way back when we even discussed offering digital versions back when digital was taking off, but ultimately decided it would be too hard to control because image sharing is already rampant with rubber stampers too. Digital crafters would harvest our stamp images from our websites, so we had to post much lower resolution, smaller sizes and start doing watermarks etc. So I am fully away of how frustrating it is when people steal something you work so hard to produce and how much work goes into designing products. I adopted the same attitude about it as I have with the digital. Those who are going to share are going to do it no matter what.

They most probably were never going to buy the designs in the first place and I know they feel justified since they spent money on those products, they should have a say over how it is used. Its unrealistic to think that people in the same household who share a computer would purchase separate duplicate digital kits. The thing that we have to worry about most is mass sharing groups.