Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2022, 12:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Question about workplace condolences

I was wondering how your work place handles condolences when an employee loses a close loved one; by definition for this question, someone you get bereavement time off for.

My employer does nothing. Not a card or flowers to the service or anything. In fact when my mom died, no one except my co-workers even offered condolences; not even HR when I was arranging my time off to bury her. I was less than impressed with, not just the company, but the HR manager herself. I didn't expect flowers, but to say I am sorry for your loss, is not to much to ask for, right? (I was told later that it was company policy not to say anything. What? I haven't looked into the why of that, but if it is true, it's crazy in my book. Maya Angelou said people will remember how you make them feel and I absolutely believe that, so being kind should just be the norm for everyone and every business.)

Since the employer doesn't do anything, we employees tend to get a card and take donations for the affected family. BUT, another employee has to start it, take charge of it and then make sure it is received by the co-worker. If no one starts it, then that person doesn't get any kind of condolence from his work place or co-workers, which I think is sad.

Yesterday, my sister lost one of her boys, ie. her cats. She doesn't have children and her employer and co-workers know that her fur babies are her babies, so they knew how hard it hit her to say good bye to him.

Because they knew how hurt she was and obviously care about her, they sent her flowers from the people in the company and a donation to the pet shelter in Nittany's (her cat) name. They made the donation to the shelter from their pets, which I thought was sweet, because it made her boy part of their "community" as well.

I don't think you see that kind of comfort/support in the work place these days for people, much less fur babies, but I could be wrong so I thought I would ask.

Does your employer do anything when someone in their employee loses a loved one. If so what?

If not, do the employees get together and do something for them?

Should a company offer some kind of condolences or is it enough to just give bereavement time?

What is your opinion about any or all of this?

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 10-16-2022 at 12:21 PM.