Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2024, 11:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default What cameras do you shoot with?

Obviously my phone is one I use quite a bit as it is handy and always with me. I have an iPhone 14 Pro and use an app called Pro-Cam. It has a wide angle, super wide and telephoto option plus it automatically decides on iso and aperture. I think it was $6.

For my cameras I have a Nikon D7200 that I just love but once I saw how small and light the mirrorless cameras were I knew I wanted one. I got a seasonal job at my local camera store for Christmas which funded the purchase of a used Nikon Z fc with the 16-50mm lens and I was able to purchase the 50-250mm lens, also used. A few months later I purchased the adapter (used) so my other lenses will fit the new camera.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Years ago I had Nikon full frame and crop sensor cameras with 7+ lenses for them. As I transitioned away from portrait/wedding photography, I started to focus more on my own photography (food, macro, wildlife, landscape) and found that lighter weight gear better suited my needs. I've got a few cameras, each for different needs, all purchased with money from my business but now that I am retired I won't be buying any more gear so this all better last me a long time.

Nikon P950 - long birding hikes with the local nature group.

Sony a7r iv - full frame mirrorless for all my personal photography with macro, 200-600 with 1.4 converter and 24-70.

Sony rx10 iv - travel camera

I love the lighter gear. Even the wildlife lens with my full frame isn't anywhere near as heavy as the nikon DSLRs I used to have. I don't miss not having to carry lots of lenses around with me anymore.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I love the lighter gear. Even the wildlife lens with my full frame isn't anywhere near as heavy as the nikon DSLRs I used to have. I don't miss not having to carry lots of lenses around with me anymore.
I am loving the smaller bag and lighter weight. Nikon has a sale on right now I have just ordered the 24mm f1.7 dx lens. I am trading in my Signa 170-500mm to go toward it. I found I didn’t use it much and am not the type of person to sit in one spot and wait for a bird……birding is obviously not for me. The 24-70 2.8 is on my dream list as those Z lenses are not cheap!
Old 05-05-2024, 12:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I need to get back into shooting with a "real" camera... I don't think I've picked up my canon in like 5 years... sigh. Everything is done on my phone as it uploads automatically to iphotos and google photos.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a Nikon D7000. I have it since Christmas because my old Nikon D40x died. The Nikon D7000 is a used one. The good part is, I can still use my lenses that worked with the D40x.
I have a 50mm f1,4. It's my favorite. And a 70-200mm f3.

Old 05-05-2024, 12:53 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I do have a dslr but I only use my phone
Old 05-05-2024, 01:01 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I have 3 cameras and a Samsung Galaxy S10 phone but rarely use the phone. The photos are always blurry since my hand shakes!

I carry a Canon SX740 in my purse (also sometimes carry when I take a walk with the dog). I have a Canon SX540 on my desk. And, I have Canon Rebel T5 with 2 lenses. The 18-55mm stays on the body of the T5 most of the time but I also have a 75-300mm that I will use to shoot the distance shots.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just use my iPhone 13pro, this year I didn’t even breakout my Canon 6d Mark ii.

I’m ready to upgrade my phone. lol!
Old 05-05-2024, 01:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
I have a Nikon D7000. I have it since Christmas because my old Nikon D40x died. The Nikon D7000 is a used one. The good part is, I can still use my lenses that worked with the D40x.
I have a 50mm f1,4. It's my favorite. And a 70-200mm f3.
With the D7000 you also have more lens choices. Prices are coming down on F mounts.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraOD View Post
I do have a dslr but I only use my phone
They are so convenient! I don’t use my camera as much as I should.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I have 3 cameras and a Samsung Galaxy S10 phone but rarely use the phone. The photos are always blurry since my hand shakes!

I carry a Canon SX740 in my purse (also sometimes carry when I take a walk with the dog). I have a Canon SX540 on my desk. And, I have Canon Rebel T5 with 2 lenses. The 18-55mm stays on the body of the T5 most of the time but I also have a 75-300mm that I will use to shoot the distance shots.
Sounds like a good system! I find the 50-250 is on my Z fc most of the time.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I need to get back into shooting with a "real" camera... I don't think I've picked up my canon in like 5 years... sigh. Everything is done on my phone as it uploads automatically to iphotos and google photos.
My goal next month is to definitely get the camera out more and use the phone less.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
I just use my iPhone 13pro, this year I didn’t even breakout my Canon 6d Mark ii.

I’m ready to upgrade my phone. lol!
I have had my phone for a year so I think I am good for a bit. Not enough of a difference for me to jump to the 15 from the 14 at least I am telling myself I can wait, lol
Old 05-05-2024, 02:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I mainly use my phone (Iphone 11 Pro Max), I had a Nikon D90 that died recently, I hesitate to replace it.
Old 05-05-2024, 05:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a good Nikon point & Shoot ... somewhere. I haven't used it in ... years? I use my phone pretty much all the time.

Old 05-05-2024, 05:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually tote my camera around with me when we're out and about - I use a Canon 90D and have a variety of lenses.
I do use my phone when I'm in a rush though.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels View Post
I mainly use my phone (Iphone 11 Pro Max), I had a Nikon D90 that died recently, I hesitate to replace it.
A lot of people are feeling that way. The DSLRs are cumbersome to tote around. However, you can get some really good deal on bodies and lenses. Mirrorless is definitely the way to go, but the glass is expensive.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I have a good Nikon point & Shoot ... somewhere. I haven't used it in ... years? I use my phone pretty much all the time.
I still have both my Nikon point and shoots. The one is waterproof and a whopping 5mp, lol. The other is a good one that I should just keep in my bag.

I still have a Canon SX10 and my dad’s old film Minolta.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
I usually tote my camera around with me when we're out and about - I use a Canon 90D and have a variety of lenses.
I do use my phone when I'm in a rush though.
Your pictures are beautiful Jill and I love seeing your adventures. I should start throwing mine in a bag and carrying it around with me.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just converted from my Canon mark ii to a Sony alpha 7iii which I love!!
Old 05-05-2024, 09:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post
Nice!!!
Old 05-05-2024, 09:27 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I mainly use my iPhone 13 pro to take photos/videos. I don't think I can manage carrying a camera with me with Michelle hovering around me all the time.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
I mainly use my iPhone 13 pro to take photos/videos. I don't think I can manage carrying a camera with me with Michelle hovering around me all the time.
A camera, all the gear, and a little one would be difficult for sure.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post
Congrats! I have heard amazing things about that Sony.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:03 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Same. I just use my phone now, Samsung 22 Ultra ...I really love how it shoots. But while I never had a fancy DSLR, I had a nice mid-size P&S and haven't touched it at least 5 yrs.

I wanted a mirrlorless DSLR but now I don't know if I can justify the cost, seeing as I don't use a "real" camera much

Old 05-06-2024, 02:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I just got the mirrorless Canon EOS R3 which I use for sport photography and photoshoots. My lens is RF 70-200 F2.8. For day to day I use my phone unless it is feasible to grab the large camera and lens. I am loving the clarity of the new camera but wow it has been a learning curve shooting mirrorless!

Old 05-06-2024, 05:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Just my phone. I'm not much of a photographer. It's a skill I would love to have (my daughter, who we gave her first disposable camera when she was 2 or 3) is a wedding photographer. I love her photos!
Jaye, I've seen your photos on FB and they are amazing!!
Old 05-06-2024, 09:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
Same. I just use my phone now, Samsung 22 Ultra ...I really love how it shoots. But while I never had a fancy DSLR, I had a nice mid-size P&S and haven't touched it at least 5 yrs.

I wanted a mirrlorless DSLR but now I don't know if I can justify the cost, seeing as I don't use a "real" camera much
You could try an entry level and look at used, that's what I did. Now I have to get out and practice with it more
Old 05-06-2024, 09:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjcaz View Post
I just got the mirrorless Canon EOS R3 which I use for sport photography and photoshoots. My lens is RF 70-200 F2.8. For day to day I use my phone unless it is feasible to grab the large camera and lens. I am loving the clarity of the new camera but wow it has been a learning curve shooting mirrorless!
Nice set up!!

Yes, I feel like I am starting all over again and keep wanting to grab the old DSLR but I will not until I get better with the mirrorless.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Just my phone. I'm not much of a photographer. It's a skill I would love to have (my daughter, who we gave her first disposable camera when she was 2 or 3) is a wedding photographer. I love her photos!
Jaye, I've seen your photos on FB and they are amazing!!
Thank you so much

oh wow, I am amazed at the talent of wedding photographers and getting everyone in focus. The patience, creativity, and skill.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
A lot of people are feeling that way. The DSLRs are cumbersome to tote around. However, you can get some really good deal on bodies and lenses. Mirrorless is definitely the way to go, but the glass is expensive.
I don't know much about it, but I must admit I'm not happy with the photos I take with my phone and I'd love to have a real camera again.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I don't know much about it, but I must admit I'm not happy with the photos I take with my phone and I'd love to have a real camera again.
I suggest visiting your local camera store or B&H and looking at something used. In most places, you can still purchase a warranty with the used gear. The only lens I bought brand new was my 50mm and my first camera which was a D5200. Everything else I bought used and sold my D5200 privately.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I suggest visiting your local camera store or B&H and looking at something used. In most places, you can still purchase a warranty with the used gear. The only lens I bought brand new was my 50mm and my first camera which was a D5200. Everything else I bought used and sold my D5200 privately.
Thanks for the advice Jaye, I still have some lenses left from my D90 maybe I could find a compatible one.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:01 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have a Nikon D5200 that I love but since getting the iPhone 12pro a few years ago, I don't use it nearly as much as I used to. It's just so nice to have my camera on my phone....

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 05-10-2024, 12:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Jaye, I still have some lenses left from my D90 maybe I could find a compatible one.
If you are looking at a crop sensor (that's what the D90 is) DSLR then I would suggest not going any lower than a D7000 as you will have a much better choice of lenses and still using your old ones.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
I have a Nikon D5200 that I love but since getting the iPhone 12pro a few years ago, I don't use it nearly as much as I used to. It's just so nice to have my camera on my phone....
They are convenient and nice to have around as you can snap 'in the moment' photos so much easier.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
If you are looking at a crop sensor (that's what the D90 is) DSLR then I would suggest not going any lower than a D7000 as you will have a much better choice of lenses and still using your old ones.
thank you very much, I'll look into it.