Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2024, 05:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Disneyland tips please

A little late to the party, but I'm also going to start a thread asking for traveling tips. We're going to Disneyland in a week. We have 4-day, one-park-a-day tickets, no genie+. We're also not staying at a Disney hotel so no magic hour. It's been a couple years since we've been! My kids are 12, 11, and 4, so I know we'll be kind of split up (2 kids + my husband going for the big rides and the young one and me going on the milder rides).

Instead of going through tons of websites and Reddit, I figure I'll ask you all for tips, since so many of you go regularly. Please share your favorite foods, meet-and-greets, rides, etc!

Old 05-06-2024, 09:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My son prefers milder rides, too. We loved Radiator Springs Racers and Webslingers. At Schmoozies in DCA, there was a milkshake with an entire piece of cake on top. I think that was my son's favorite treat. It's been two years since we went and only for a day though so I do not have a ton of help to give.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oooh! Fun! Disneyland has become our more "go to" park since one of our girls is attending College in CA and has a season pass!

Tips:
I actually use 2 different apps to check wait times. There is the official Disneyland app, but I also use one from Touring Plans. I find that the Touring Plans one seems more accurate. Unlike WDW, you CAN go across the park to do diffrent rides, but we still like to just stick to one area and then move on. You can do this, even without genie+. Use your wait time apps. If you see a line is short, go ride that ride/attraction. If a wait time seems long, wait a bit and watch to see what happens.

We are still figuring out our fav restaurants, so no help there! But there are lots of different food options!

We try not to shop too much the day we are in the parks. Instead, we go to Downtown Disney before we hit the parks to shop some. If we do want to shop in the park, the stores stay open 1 hour past the time the parks close! (at least one main street) so you can shop before you head home (this way you don't have to carry bags around all day either).

When we were there, we were able to watch the fireworks and the castle projection show from the area in front of Small World. This saved us having to fight the crowds on Main Street and it was a unique place to see it. Also, everyone sat on the ground up front, so it was easy for everyone to see!

The characters at DL are a little different. They don't all STOP for photos, but just keep walking. Some will stop and interact with you. It is pretty much just a hit or miss on the random ones that are out.

World of Color at DCA is AMAZING! We did not reserve the dessert party or a spot to stand. Instead we stood in the area, and after those who had reserved those items were let in, the CM let us in too. We were able to stand in a great area, without having to reserve a spot!

Favorite rides: Anything in CarsLand! So fun and the theming is amazing! Grizzly River Run was fun, but you may get wet (if it's a hot/warm day it's fine...but if it is overcast or cool, you may want to skip it). It's a Small World has always been my fav, but the one in DL is even better! Runaway Railway is a fun ride (the lines tend to be long, but we went right before closing without a huge long wait). Star Wars land is great, but can get long waits and busy. Do NOT go right away when the parks open. Wait a bit and watch the wait times to see if they seem to be going up or down.

Have an amazing time! Feel free to ask any other questions. We've only been 2 times, but we have fit a lot in! (and still have a lot to learn!)
Old 05-07-2024, 11:49 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Have an amazing time!!

I'm going to suggest when you need a break go check out the resorts. The Pixar Place Hotel just underwent a renovation and looks great! The Great Maple Modern Eatery there is super cute, and it has some different fun combinations. I'm also a big fan of Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel. I love the food there! I really enjoy the Hawaiin Platter because I adore the pasta salad!!
Old 05-08-2024, 08:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
My son prefers milder rides, too. We loved Radiator Springs Racers and Webslingers. At Schmoozies in DCA, there was a milkshake with an entire piece of cake on top. I think that was my son's favorite treat. It's been two years since we went and only for a day though so I do not have a ton of help to give.
My little one wants to try the Radiator Springs Racers but he's a wimp when it comes to rides I guess we'll see how it goes. We can try once and if he doesn't like it, we'll just stick to slower rides!

Old 05-08-2024, 09:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Oooh! Fun! Disneyland has become our more "go to" park since one of our girls is attending College in CA and has a season pass!

Tips:
I actually use 2 different apps to check wait times. There is the official Disneyland app, but I also use one from Touring Plans. I find that the Touring Plans one seems more accurate. Unlike WDW, you CAN go across the park to do diffrent rides, but we still like to just stick to one area and then move on. You can do this, even without genie+. Use your wait time apps. If you see a line is short, go ride that ride/attraction. If a wait time seems long, wait a bit and watch to see what happens.

We are still figuring out our fav restaurants, so no help there! But there are lots of different food options!

We try not to shop too much the day we are in the parks. Instead, we go to Downtown Disney before we hit the parks to shop some. If we do want to shop in the park, the stores stay open 1 hour past the time the parks close! (at least one main street) so you can shop before you head home (this way you don't have to carry bags around all day either).

When we were there, we were able to watch the fireworks and the castle projection show from the area in front of Small World. This saved us having to fight the crowds on Main Street and it was a unique place to see it. Also, everyone sat on the ground up front, so it was easy for everyone to see!

The characters at DL are a little different. They don't all STOP for photos, but just keep walking. Some will stop and interact with you. It is pretty much just a hit or miss on the random ones that are out.

World of Color at DCA is AMAZING! We did not reserve the dessert party or a spot to stand. Instead we stood in the area, and after those who had reserved those items were let in, the CM let us in too. We were able to stand in a great area, without having to reserve a spot!

Favorite rides: Anything in CarsLand! So fun and the theming is amazing! Grizzly River Run was fun, but you may get wet (if it's a hot/warm day it's fine...but if it is overcast or cool, you may want to skip it). It's a Small World has always been my fav, but the one in DL is even better! Runaway Railway is a fun ride (the lines tend to be long, but we went right before closing without a huge long wait). Star Wars land is great, but can get long waits and busy. Do NOT go right away when the parks open. Wait a bit and watch the wait times to see if they seem to be going up or down.

Have an amazing time! Feel free to ask any other questions. We've only been 2 times, but we have fit a lot in! (and still have a lot to learn!)
This is amazing!! Thank you so much. Downloading the apps soon so I can check them out!

Old 05-08-2024, 09:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennschultz View Post
Have an amazing time!!

I'm going to suggest when you need a break go check out the resorts. The Pixar Place Hotel just underwent a renovation and looks great! The Great Maple Modern Eatery there is super cute, and it has some different fun combinations. I'm also a big fan of Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel. I love the food there! I really enjoy the Hawaiin Platter because I adore the pasta salad!!
Oooh I haven't thought about doing this. Thank you! We'll check out some of these places. I love Hawaiian food!