Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default tell me.. how is your summer....

going w/the kiddos at home from school?

I finally signed up at the Y so they are going to the pool every other day and then they jump in the pool here at home.
Cely has to read and do some activities over the summer for school but other than that she is a coach potato or lil explorer outside depends on her mood
Gio also has to read and he's pretty much not that much of an outdoor lover if he has someone his age to be with then he'll go but not much. He's on vacation for 2 weeks in NJ w/my sis and bnl. He said he needed time away from us so he can miss us and come back w/a clear head about all of his reading choices, LOL gotta love him!

What are some of the things you all do, I haven't been home with them everyday of the summer in some time so do tell!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have three boys (9, 8, and 6) and I try to keep them busy so they don't drive me crazy.
We go to the outdoor pool in town several times a week.
We have an hour of reading during the week each day.
We go to the library every other week.
They watch tv and play wii.
They have chores they do so they can earn money (4 chores each, they earn half their age).
We go to the park alot to play and ride bikes.
Basically anything I can think of to wear them out and keep them from fighting.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I work at home during the day so DD (11) has to keep herself entertained when she is here. She is an outdoor girl and loves to spend her time in the lake - swimming, kayaking, sailing, tubing, etc. She does an Eco-Venture summer camp for part of the summer also. She will take a book down to the dock and read or go up in her treehouse and read. If it's raining she will watch a movie or read inside. She loves to draw and will do that for hours too on a rainy day.

Once I'm done work for the day (anywhere between 1-3 p.m.) we head into the town beach where there's a diving board and lots of the kids, and she'll dive/jump off that thing for 2-3 hours straight while I get in my reading time on the beach. We also do the library every couple weeks, a movie now and then, go hiking, etc.

On Monday, Wednesday, and Thursdays she has swim practice in the evening and on Monday and Tuesday she has track practice. On Thursdays she has a track meet. Next week, she has basketball camp Monday thorugh Friday, so that will keep her busy for the week. In August we plan to go to the southern part of the state and meet some friends for a waterpark weekend and then do some shopping.

That about wraps up our summer - LOL

Last edited by mariewilcox; 07-12-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We go to the gym 4 mornings a week & while I work out they have an Activity program for the kids, depending on the time of day. We do the library once a week. It's been in the upper 90s most of the time, too hot for the park & we have no public or pay as you go swimming pools in the area so we spend most of our time at home. We have an easy set pool & they are either in it or playing video games or playing with Legos or reading. My 8 year old has some school work stuff he has to turn in when school starts but mostly we are just hanging out
Old 07-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mine are 7, 5, and 2. They go to day camp anywhere from 2.5 days a week (my oldest) to 1 morning a week (my youngest). We don't get out as much as we should because of naps, but we try to do 1 fun thing each day when they're home from camp. So far we've been to the pool a few times, gone to the library, done some art and cooking projects, read books, rented some new videos, and done lots of errands. We have a list with some local summer activities we want to do (a sprinkler park, a pool that's more like a mini-theme park, etc), but we haven't gotten to them yet. It's been too hot and humid here to spend much time at the playground or outside, unfortunately.

We also have some projects planned around the house, like clearing out old toys. I try to make it fun for them. For example, a couple of weeks ago we sorted through all of our books. We made play money, and each of the kids ran a store to sell books they didn't want to their siblings. Books no one chose are being donated or saved for a cousin, and the kids all earned a coupon for a few new books. One day soon we'll make a bookstore trip our daily activity.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are hoping that the kids will be able to take outdoor swimming lessons this summer (we're still waiting to hear if the pool will be open due to the major flooding here). The kids spend their days riding their bikes, playing with the neighborhood kids, hanging out in the hot tub...

I'm hoping to find some VBS's for them to go to, our church doesn't offer one.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We go to the Y almost every day. I work out while they play, and sometimes we swim, too.
The boys start swim lessons today, 2x a week.
We go to the library at least once a week.
They play with the neighbor kids.
We have memberships to the zoo and children's museum.
The boys don't nap, but have quiet rest time in their rooms while their sister naps.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like were all doing the same things, I was feeling kinda bad b/c I felt like we should do more but after reading all of the input i feel ok.

I have to say that the Y was a FAB choice, I am signing them up for swim lessons so that will keep me busy since it's a whole week straight.

I will take them to the library soon not sure when that' s a hard one for me b/c my late dd used to take them all the time and over the summer she helped them w/their reading/suggestions and that was her qt with them. They talk about it now a lot and my oldest refuses to even go sigghhh My excuse is we have a nook and we can browse and dl books,

Thanks for all the input ladies so appreciated

Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I've been complaining about the heat daily.

My 4 year old goes to the free splash park a few times a week, plays slip and slide during the week, movies a few times a month and the park/tennis late in the evening if it's on a night my husband isn't going in to work really early. We read books, do puzzles, work on writing and play lots of dolls.

My 14 year old is living and breathing tennis. He has a tournament Fri. He plays almost daily for a few hours. He's running 3 miles on the treadmill at max incline and doing some weight work for his legs. Two-A-Days start Aug.2. His Pre-AP reading assignment is to read The Lord of the Flies.

I walk around in a long t-shirt and sit under fans. I drink a lot of tea and diet coke. Lots of ice. I keep the curtains closed and call my house a "cave".

I'll come out of hibernation this Fall.

Happily creating for Two More Days and Guest for Little Butterfly Wings June & July