Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Default Labeling LO for your portfolio

This is my first month and I really want to find a quick and easy way to keep my LO.

I have folders for family LO and then one for each child.

I really don't want to split all these portfolio LO out and away from the rest so i was wondering how YOU save them so you can keep track of your the layouts you complete for the portfolio challenge.

Thanks for any tips in advance.

S
Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I save my layouts per the year. It works for now since I still don't have a ton. So for my file it says 2011 scrapbook pages, 2010 scrapbook pages etc

Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Back when I scrapped (bahahahahaha!) I saved by the whole year as well. I don't scrap chronologically, and I don't have kids.

I don't know that I'll change that system once we have kids either though. I think specific albums (like a pregnancy album, a 1st year album) I would save in a separate folder within that year, but I don't see myself saving kid LO's in 1 folder, and other LO's in other folders.

If that's what works for you though, there's no reason to change your system. If you make a kid LO for the portfolio, save it in the kid folder.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Even with another child on the way, I still wouldn't save his layouts in a separate folder. I guess thats because I print 8x8's for my sons albums and then a 12x12 for my album. Thus each one gets printed twice. So when my sons take their albums with them when they grow up, I will always have the pages with me.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I have a folder for each kid, a folder for the two kids together and then an other folder.. there's a folder there for my book of me and other layouts.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I print everything, so I store the digital LOs by the printed album that they're in. It used to be one album per child per year, but I just switched to one family album per year because too many things were getting printed (and digtally copied) multiple times for the 3 kids.

I keep track of Portfolio LOs with a Notepad document on my desktop. I label it April 2011 Portfolio, and for each Portfolio LO I complete I record the Challenge number and description, points earned, the LO title, and the credits. When I move on to the next month, I'll store the April document in the folder where I keep web layouts and credits.

Last edited by rach3975; 04-05-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Are you saving the layouts in those folders as you're creating them or just once you finish them?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I save all my pages into one folder since I don't scrap chronologically and with 5 kids there is no way I can scrap them all equally (although I do try), separate folders would just make me feel guilty if I noticed one kid's folder lacking pages! But I do name my pages differently, like if it's for the portfolio it gets named like this:

eam2011 apr no23

If it's for a designer I CT for it get's named the kit, like this:

eam2011 keytochange

I have one designer I have to scrap 2 pages with one kit so in that case it will get a number added to it also like this:

eam2011 keytochange1

If it's for something "special" (non-CT page and non-portfolio page) it get's named after the "event"

eam2011 dailydec1
eam2011 kidnamebday1

I started using my initials to name my pages a few years ago cause at one site I upload to (maybe more I haven't checked all my pages in every gallery) I found out that if someone named a page the same as me....it replaced my page. So if I had a LO names "the girls" and someone else named their LO "the girls", it replaced my page with their page! So I started placing my initials in front of all my pages. Then I started adding the date when I started the new portfolio this year....since I name them with the month and number I was gonna end up with duplicate names.

Also my folder "system" is like this:

In Progress: I keep pages I am working on in this folder and I also keep the TIFF file and a web sized jpeg till I upload it to the internet (galleries and facebook). Then after they are uploaded the move to a folder named "My Layouts" and they stay there until I back them up. After they are backed up I delete the TIFF file and move the web sized jpeg to a folder with the current years date. After 2 years (I keep 2 year on my hard drive the current year and last year...so right now I have a 2010 folder and a 2011 folder) I delete that off my hard drive.

Also after I am finished creating a TIFF file I save a 12x12 300dpi copy into a fold that is called To Print. I uploaded those to an online printer once a week and then after I have them printed they get delete off my hard drive.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by mummytothree; 04-05-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

all layered files gets dumped into one big folder... unless it's a special project like P365, vacation album, cookbook, dec daily or all about me, those have their own folders... I name everything year_mo_Day - title.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Oh I love the idea of having a notepad doc on the desktop. That would be really helpful cause then i don't have to track down LO for the portforlio.

and the document naming helped too. I usually just name them a goofy LO name. I do put my initials on CT layouts though. Gonna have to think about that.

And just having a yearly family album really streamlines everythinb. I seem to scrap my daughter more than my sons cause she is so photogenic and girly. I have to make an effort to scrap the boys more but not sure they care as much anyway. LOOL

Thanks for your ideas.

S
Old 04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm lazy..my folders are labeled by month - Mar 2011/April 2011 etc. Every layout I make that month goes in ...I don't separate by kid or topic. I only keep layouts for specific albums in separate folders like all my p365 layouts have their own folder.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Are you saving the layouts in those folders as you're creating them or just once you finish them?
Once they're printed I move them from my Layouts folder to the folders that I store them in (the folders that correspond to my printed albums). That's also when I delete the layered file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLH View Post
And just having a yearly family album really streamlines everythinb. I seem to scrap my daughter more than my sons cause she is so photogenic and girly. I have to make an effort to scrap the boys more but not sure they care as much anyway.
I have to make an effort to keep it kind of even, too. But in my defense, my 2 year old DD begs me to take her picture, and my 5 and 7 year old DSes turn their backs as soon as they see me pull out the camera.

Last edited by rach3975; 04-05-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

All of my layouts are in folders by year of when the event occured/photo was taken, and a few are in themed album folders (p365, me growing up, etc). I gave up the thought of making separate albums for my boys a while ago, so all the layouts are together in one place. My older son (12) was looking at the printed layouts yesterday and I told him that later on he can choose some layouts that we'll have re-printed for him. Probably when he graduates high school. He was very excited!!

As far as the portfolio goes, I print off the challenges each month, and just note the title of the layout by each challenge I complete.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Did you know the portfolio has a printable PDF? You can print and check off what challenge you do and just put the title on it or something so you know which layout is for which challenge.

I just have a folder by year..i don't scrap very often and usually print once or twice a year an dput them all in a book..

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
Did you know the portfolio has a printable PDF? You can print and check off what challenge you do and just put the title on it or something so you know which layout is for which challenge
This is exactly what I do. I'm a "gotta write it down" kind of gal, so I love the printable portfolio. I write all sorts of notes on it, and keep a running total of my points on the first page.