Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Vanessa, he's in Toledo.

Ok, so update... yesterday was the longest day in the history of histories. I almost feel like the surgeon misled us as to how quickly he will bounce back from this. They literally told us a day or 2 in the hospital and we will be on our way. We were amazed at this and at how crazy modern medicine is. However, he is far from 'bouncing back'. THe PT girls and nurses said that dr.s are often misleading like this, because they consider their job done and don't really deal with the healing side of the equation. He is in a LOT of pain and can barely sit up, much less walk. After he took a couple steps and back he pretty much passed out for 45 minutes. I've had to sneak off to the bathroom a couple times and have a good cry. It's about managing pain and meds now and getting him on his feet twice a day. It is a torturous process.

At first I was understanding towards the kid who did this, recognizing it was an accident. After all, Johnny just had an accident a few months ago, if you remember. But 1/2 way through the day I was thinking of the massive difference between a dinged fender and the messed up condition of my baby boy and I have been getting more and more angry. I know it's incredibly unJesus-like, but I wish I could throat punch this kid. I am pissed off. I am angry.

He will be several more days in the hosp and if he can't get moving (trust me, he is trying his hardest) he may need inpatient rehab. It will be months before he can walk on his own. We're going to have a social worker and therapist help us set up and hospital bed downstairs and such, because his room is on our 2nd floor.

School and hospital explained that there is no way he can go back to school this year. This child is a straight A student. He got one B his freshmen year so he has a 3.98 GPA. His grades are the most important thing to him. He centers everything around finding the perfect college and working towards scholarships.

I NEED TO BREAK SOMETHING.

Last edited by Valgal; 05-09-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, also, the district superintendent has already called me, of course, and started smoothing things over. That they don't believe the kid was being wreckless or goofing off and that it was purely an accident and that they didn't plan to suspend him or anything. I was polite on the phone, but we're still getting a lawyer. We're assuming his insurance isn't going to happily fork out the cash to pay for all of this. Also considering raising some hell with the school about their parking lot and student driving privileges.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

HUGS, Val!
I will be angry too if I were in your position! If it was an accident, I would've thought it wouldn't be as severe as you described up there! After all, it's within the school parking lot! That kid must've been in quite some speed to 'damage' Johnny that much
Hugs!!
Old 05-09-2015, 10:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I can't even imagine! I'd be raising hell with the school district! Sending prayers for a speedy recovery!
Old 05-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Val I'm so sorry for this! I feel awful for him. I'm telling you, for your son to be under the car, the kid HAD to have been messing around. My sister was hit by a car when she was younger and the guys wasn't messing around (he was at a light and somebody rear ended him, pushing him into her) and she was pretty messed up, but not under the car. I would definitely get a lawyer and have them looking more into it.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

That is terrifying. Thank god he's going to be ok!! Wish he recovers soon!
Old 05-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh, how scary! So glad he is going to be okay. Praying he heals quickly.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

So sorry your son is going through such pain and now knowing he can't go back to school is probably so sad for him!! Maybe he can get a homebound teacher for the rest of this school year so he can get his credits. Talk with the superintendent again and see if this is possible. One of my daughters had a serious medical condition in Jr. High and had kind of a homebound teacher for a semester. The teacher got all the stuff from her teachers at school, and delivered them here for her to work on! Then picked up the stuff and took it back to school. It was nothing I couldn't have done--but it got her through!
As for scrapping the incident--you should. A tree fell on my husband last weekend (he was cutting it down) and I made him stay there under the tree until I could get a photo!! (my scrapbooking friends are laughing at me too!) I did check him out a bit to make sure he was ok before I went to get the camera though!! You can get some photos to show his improvement over the next few months--and it will be a good therapy for you! Praying for a quicker than expected recovery for him. That is such a hard age for him to be "dependent" on anybody for help. I'm a nurse, and my hardest patients were the young men--who thought they could do anything!! Will be praying for you too. Glad it wasn't any worse than it is!! Trucks can do major damage!! ((HUGS))
Old 05-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That is so terrifying!!! I am so sorry! I hope he is doing ok and you are able to manage his pain ok.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh my goodness! How terrifying! I'm really glad the surgery went well, but I can imagine the healing is going to take quite some time - I've read that the femur is almost as hard as cement, so he had to have been hit really hard. Praying for a speedy recovery! I would be thinking the same thing about scrapping it all I think it would be therapeutic for you.

Last edited by craftytam; 05-09-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well here's a twist: we're home! After a grueling PT session this morning (during which he almost threw up) he decided he was ready to get the heck out of there.

We've been telling him all along that he can make choices for himself and decide what he wants, so we decided to go with it. Once we got the ball rolling it became less and less scary of an idea for me, and he started perking up BIG TIME. He even ate a whole piece of lasagna. Once he started talking to me about geeky techy stuff, I knew was gonna make it, lol!

It was slow going getting him in/out of his wheelchair and the van, but now that he's in the house and set up in the livingroom I feel like I can breathe again.

Tomorrow will be a GREAT Mother's Day!
Old 05-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow. The updates. I'm so sorry that it sounds like it was more serious than you were first told. So glad he is home. Healing is so much better at home. And glad for you that he is home. Will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh thank goodness he's home!!!

Old 05-09-2015, 10:53 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

That is so great that you guys are home! When I was in inpatient PT to get me walking I reached a point where I was just done- I Said nope, you need to discharge me, I am going home.. So I feel that, poor kid! He will heal much faster at home where he's comfortable and surrounded by family I think, or at least he will be happier :]
Old 05-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
That is so great that you guys are home! When I was in inpatient PT to get me walking I reached a point where I was just done- I Said nope, you need to discharge me, I am going home.. So I feel that, poor kid! He will heal much faster at home where he's comfortable and surrounded by family I think, or at least he will be happier :]
Yep. When they started talking about inpatient rehab he was like, "Uh, no way." LOL!
Old 05-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deannaj View Post
So sorry your son is going through such pain and now knowing he can't go back to school is probably so sad for him!! Maybe he can get a homebound teacher for the rest of this school year so he can get his credits. Talk with the superintendent again and see if this is possible. One of my daughters had a serious medical condition in Jr. High and had kind of a homebound teacher for a semester. The teacher got all the stuff from her teachers at school, and delivered them here for her to work on! Then picked up the stuff and took it back to school. It was nothing I couldn't have done--but it got her through! ((HUGS))
I'm sorry it sounds like this is going to be a longer and harder recovery than the doctor led you to believe. I definitely agree about getting school to provide a homebound teacher if you think he's up to it now. If not, look into getting permission for him to turn in work and take finals during the summer. I'm guessing that if the school gives you a hard time about any of it, knowing you have a lawyer involved may help. I had to be out of school for a few months in grade school, and the district provided a tutor a few hours a day who coordinated with my teacher.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

He's getting set up with some 'homebound' program and I'm not sure how much that entails. SO much stuff to start sorting through. Police are probably coming tomorrow for questioning, start hunting down a lawyer, PT is going to start coming over, set up follow up appointments with the surgeon. I'm just going to make a list before I go to sleep tonight, but until then I'm just relaxing and enjoying Mother's Day. Dh has ribs in the smoker and baked potatoes in the oven and I want a Sonic blast this evening
Old 05-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh this sounds promising! Found the 'homebound and hospitalized services' pdf and it says this

"Purpose of Homebound and Hospitalized Service
Homebound and hospitalized service is a self-study program designed to help pupils,
who are unable to attend school due to a medical condition, to keep up with their
studies and to progress as far as possible given their medical condition. The
homebound and hospitalized teacher carries the curriculum from school to the home
or treatment facility to enable pupils to continue with their studies. It is important to
note that these are services designed to help the classroom teacher(s) communicate
with the pupil while away from school. "
Old 05-10-2015, 04:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So happy to hear he is back home and on the mend... good thing you homeschool, so having him home "schooling" - you will be able to help if he gets stuck - even through he will be self-study. Bittersweet he has to go through this - however, he might be able to use this for a great essay on his experience for the college apps.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Bittersweet he has to go through this - however, he might be able to use this for a great essay on his experience for the college apps.
OMG, I hadn't even thought of that yet, LOL!! Score!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Eden is already making full use of the wheelchair

Old 05-10-2015, 11:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So glad he is home!! Hang in there mama!

Old 05-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

OMGoodness, Val! I just read this. I am SO sorry to hear about your boy but glad he is home and doing somewhat better. I will keep you all in my prayers.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

How scary! I am glad it was not more serious.