Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you have trouble/guilt

spending money on yourself?

I will buy kids for the clothes etc etc but when it comes to me I feel SO guilty buying anything for myself! I guess its good in some ways because it helps me to be more frugal but it would be nice to be able to just treat myself sometimes without feeling that guilt with it as well
Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do. I feel all sorts of guilt over all sorts of things.

But we're people too. We need to remember that.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Nope because I do one for him, one for me and it all works out!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't really have guilt but I just never buy anything for myself. I can always think of stuff the kids or the house needs before something I need. The only exception to this is my crazy addition to digi supplies and kindle books. I buy every week and I am insane about it.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do now more than ever since we are in the most expensive time of our lives - kid in colleges, 2 kids driving, not to mention activities. So I rarely spend anything on myself right now.

My last year's cash gifts for my birthday from my friends I put towards buying another car. But my birthday is coming up (and it's a big one, I'm old), and I'm dying for a Nook Color. IF we are set with college expenses at that time, I might ask DH to splurge. I will definitely feel guilty about it though.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I used to. But I had sort of an epiphany last year; I am more than a mom. I started finding a way to spend a little money on the things I love and I feel it has made me a much happier person.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

No I don't feel guilty....if I spent my own money, but I have more troubles using the joint account.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
I used to. But I had sort of an epiphany last year; I am more than a mom. I started finding a way to spend a little money on the things I love and I feel it has made me a much happier person.
I'm working on this right now, exactly this, in many ways.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes... I do... not because I'm a mama... but because I'm a stay at home mama... I feel so guilty spending money on me because I don't bring money into the house. My hubby works so hard... working full time, has a part time job on the weekend (radio - which is actually a hobby of his)... and working hard building a network business at night when kiddo is in bed. I'm really low maintenance to begin about (well, except for those darn Coach purses )... but my clothes come from Target clearance or outlet malls... the only area that gets me into trouble is digi and hybrid supplies... I don't feel guilt spending $$ on that... or anything that is educational for Jake.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

not one little bit!!! I use to never buy my self stuff but it wasn't out of guilt...not really...I just didn't think I needed anything...like why should I buy myself new clothes/shoe when I don't work and I don't really need them. Also a little of what Rebecca mentioned...about not having money from a job...but then I realized...I may not bring money INTO this house but sure as heck stop it from GOING OUT of this house!!! By my staying home I save our family so much money in child care, home cooked meals, having time to sew, having time to bargin shop to decorate our house and cloth our kids cheaply!! So that all that hard work my hubby does at his job and all the money he earns is used so much more wisely and is stretched that much farther!!! I realized that I do have a job and my job is just as important as my hubby's job....I still deserve to have nice [new] things too!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nope. But then I don't have kids. But considering that I'm on social benefits right now and spending a considerable portion of my savings for Mum's flat reconstruction, most people would probably think I shouldn't have spent even more money on the props for my fashion shoot, silly hats and a fancy dress. But I don't care. It hasn't been easy three months, one has to have fun as long as it doesn't ruin one.

But it's different spending your own money and spending someone else's (like when you're on maternity leave), I can see that.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I rarely shop for myself.. but I'm working on it LOL
Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
This.

Seriously. I used to have the worst guilt about buying things for myself. Especially because it seemed ridiculous to buy myself nice things when I'm as big as I am. Buy, you know what? Just because I'm big doesn't mean I can't look nice/dress well. I don't go overboard by any means, we're still trying to catch up from Andrew being out of work all of last year, but I don't make myself go without either.

That said, if it's a want vs. a need, then I think about it for a while before I purchase. I just spent a month weighing the pros and cons of various interchangeable knitting needle sets before finally taking the plunge and buying some.

Now, Andrew...he just does not buy things for himself at all. He refers to me all the time, "Can I get this? Is it ok?" I finally had to remind him that the money that comes into this house is money HE earns, so HE should be able to spend it so long as we're not hurting for cash at the time.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Maybe it runs in the family.... I have this problem too. Even when I finally buy something for myself chance are that I will return it to the store (at least 75% of the time). If you figure out how to do it let me know.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No, because I always plan for and budget for things for myself (and money for Tyrel to spend on himself too). It's not much (just $40 a month each) but I can spend it however I want and never feel guilty over it since I'm not taking money from other parts of my budget to do it. I have budgeted extra for myself for the next several months so I can get some new clothes once I get back into shape since the $40/month won't be enough since I haven't gone clothes shopping in over TWO years and all my shirts are thin or falling apart. lol

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

nope I spent 20 years int he Navy and never really bought any clothes {I did buy shoes cause I LOVE them} so now that I have a retirement and I am staying at home with my kids I don't feel guilty at all! As long as all of the bills are paid and there is food in the house, then I can spend what I like on something whether it be digi supplies, shoes, clothes or even the tanning bed It keeps me happy and that makes it better for everybody else in the family
Old 07-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a hard time spending $$ on clothes, shoes,make up etc but scrappy supplies well.....

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I sure do. I used to spend without ever looking at price tags (!) but then Ryan was laid off years ago and we were poooooooooooor. I got a job on weekends and we did that for a while until he got a job and we caught up. But by that point cheapness was a new trait ingrained in me.

I don't mind buying digi stuff because it's reusable. I did feel guilty about paper supplies. Clothes I buy as needed, just rarely it seems, because I stay home. I spend a bit more, still on sale, on jeans and staple pieces and totally go cheap on anything trendy.

With this latest financial blow (long story) I'm even tighter. I plan for what I know we are going to need and buy it as I see it on sale (back to school clothes, Christmas/Birthday gifts, school supplies). I'm headed back to school this fall so in a few years I can bring some money in to the house (God willing!) but I think my cheap ways will stay!

Happily creating for Two More Days and Guest for Little Butterfly Wings June & July
Old 07-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am cheap to begin with, but after years about worrying about money during my marriage, now I allow myself to buy a few wants each month without feeling guilty. But in the past, I would buy nothing for myself because I was always worried about it.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

No I don't feel guilty! I work outside of the home but that wouldn't make a difference to me. I usually buy books and scrap supplies. I usually do a huge clothing shopping spree once a year, usually when I receive my bonus!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i hated myself for about oh, 20 years, so now that i don't hate myself as much....i spend a little bit more on myself. i do still have the guilt issues, but i MAKE myself do it.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No, because I realized some time ago that when I'm generous with myself it allows me to be the same for others which is kinda corny reading it, but it's true.

Sometimes it doesn't even have to be big things. But treating myself to a movie or a good meal does wonders for myself
Old 07-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I definitely do. I very rarely buy myself stuff. But my DH doesn't either.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Yes... I do... not because I'm a mama... but because I'm a stay at home mama... I feel so guilty spending money on me because I don't bring money into the house. My hubby works so hard...
This is exactly how I feel! Even though I work from home a little I still feel guilty.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is exactly me! Gotta have my Nook books and digi supplies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
I don't really have guilt but I just never buy anything for myself. I can always think of stuff the kids or the house needs before something I need. The only exception to this is my crazy addition to digi supplies and kindle books. I buy every week and I am insane about it.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, yes I do. I can buy anything for my kids and feel completely fine about it. However if I go to buy myself anything I feel so bad. Most times I have to talk myself into it.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes! Especially clothes during these child-bearing years. I feel like I am spending so much money on clothes that I will only be wearing for a few months and then I have to buy a whole new wardrobe in a different size next season.