Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Disney World info

Alright- lay it on me.

We are thinking about going late this summer or next summer.

I would love book recommendations, forums, anything out there that can help us. It has been 15 years since I have been to WDW.

All I know is that we are going cheap and we are getting the meal pass thing. We would most likely be there for 3 nights and 4 days. So I am thinking we would hit Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Typhoon Lagoon. I don't think my boys would appreciate Epcot.

Any information would be appreciated!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

We're going next summer, in June.

Epcot has Figment!! Come on, now, you have to go to see Figment.

There's hardly anything at Hollywood Studios anymore. A few rides, etc. If you get the park hopper, you could easily spend the morning at Hollywood Studios and then the afternoon/evening at Epcot. They have the best light show at night, and there is a lot more rides there.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

I haven't been since I was a kid, but can't wait until we can!

I'm no help, but have fun!!!!

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 01-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
We're going next summer, in June.

Epcot has Figment!! Come on, now, you have to go to see Figment.

There's hardly anything at Hollywood Studios anymore. A few rides, etc. If you get the park hopper, you could easily spend the morning at Hollywood Studios and then the afternoon/evening at Epcot. They have the best light show at night, and there is a lot more rides there.
Ok, when we were there this past summer...Figment was nowhere to be found...I don't know if he is being "phased out"

And I would totally disagree about Hollywood Studios...we spent a whole day there, and could have spent more...there is the muppets show, we went to playhouse disney, and there is an AMAZING new Toy Story ride in there. We waited an hour for it, but it was WELL worth the wait. I think that Hollywood Studios is good if you like the movies and such, which I do. Plus, Hollywood Studios light show is like a whole performance where you have to get a seat in a theater, etc. Search Fantasmic on You Tube, and you'll see.

One thing I would not miss is the new Finding Nemo musical in Animal Kingdom. For us, with the girls being so young (Nat was 4, Kiki was 2), that was one of the only things that they really enjoyed at AK.

It's all about what you want...I could go on for pages about it, I am slightly obsessed with it now. PM me if you want more details!!! I would be MORE than happy to help someone else enjoy it like I did.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

expect LONGGGG lines!! Bring plenty of sunscreen. Start at the back of the park when you get there and work your way back to the front. Dont try to do it all in one day. Take half a day to go to Downtown Disney. It is fun and alot better for sourveniers in my opinion and really pretty. They have a lego store and huge lego creatures and a life size buzz lightyear for photo ops. Epcot is pretty cool havent been there in a really long time. Some people say to eat at the park me personally because I only live about 30 minutes from there in good traffic Id rather eat after or leave to eat. Like when we went to downtown disney we ate at the Mcdonalds tehre because it was the cheapest place to eat and the food was at least 25% higher then one just a few miles away. Sometimes twice as high. Get fast pass tickets for the really popular rides. The hotels on site are super expenisve IMO since you can get one just a few miles away for a signifigant amount less. That is about all I can think of. My husband took me in like 2004 for my birthday so its been a few years. We went in March right around spring break since my bday is 3-18. It was hot and crowded. Ohhh one more thing weekdays are wayyyyy better then weekends

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

We have gone several times in the last few years. We're even going again in June (probably) and definitely in December.

Check the disboards.com for lots of information and opinions.

Everyone has their favorite Disney resources- the Unofficial Guide is popular (they have a website called touringplans.com which is worth the subscription price for the various touring options)

We always use fast passes and one of the touring plans. Even with the Christmas crowds (in late December), we have never waited more than 15-20 minutes. It's usually 10-15 minutes. But you have to get to the parks early to avoid the waits.

I also like the Passporter one by Jennifer and Dave (it's well-organized, etc. and has lots of information).

I usually subscribe to tourguidemike.com- he is right on when he tells you which parks to go to on which days- but his actual touring plans haven't been as up-to- date as I would like (but they are still the best basic plans)

You might rethink EPCOT because it has some cool rides, depending on the age of your children, and the evening show is fabulous.

Check out the meal plans-there is a quick snack one and the basic sit-down one- I forget their names- but if you use the basic one, you need to plan on having at least one sit down meal a day- and allow at least 2 hours for it- including getting there, waiting, eating, etc.

As for cheap hotels on site, we love All Stars Sports followed by Pop Century. Make sure you look at a "floor plan" of the resorts and fax your room requests three days prior to get a room close to the bus stops. If you are looking at a moderate resort, we love Port Orleans Riverside. People debate whether it is worth staying onsite or not. We always stay on site- more Disney feel to it, and we think the buses are convenient (some people don't, but it costs $12 to park, and then you have to get to the gates, etc.).

I like to get Park Hoppers. Although it does add a bit to the cost, you do get more flexibility.

Last edited by disneyaddict; 01-19-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone! My boys are 6 and 4 so I know that will limit us on some rides.

I think we would rather stay on site and not have to deal with driving.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

OMGosh have you ever been to Orlando?? I have lived here for like 29 years and I will NOT drive on I-4 (the road to disney) I dont even like being in a car on that road. Itssss CRAZY!!! Luckily when we go there my husband drives and he can deal with it alot better then I can. The thing is though with alot of the hotels in the area around Disney they do offere free transportation to Disney and back so you dont necasarily have to stay on site so I wouldnt limit to just those hotels just for that reason alone.

Another thing you might enjoy while here is Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. They have Shrek 4-D which is sooo cool. Spiderman which I think for bigger kids but I could be wrong. They have Rugrats. Such fun rides. It is my favorite park here in Florida even more so then Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefamily View Post
Thanks everyone! My boys are 6 and 4 so I know that will limit us on some rides.

I think we would rather stay on site and not have to deal with driving.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 01-19-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

THIS book is the ULTIMATE guide and you must have it and study it...lol

http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Gui...2405107&sr=8-1

I bought the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland 2008 and it helped me plan our days at Disney. I only wish that I'd bought copies for everyone ELSE that was going because they thought I was just making stuff up when I'd tell them "we should eat lunch at 2 and ride rides through lunch while everyone ELSE is having lunch - then we're not wasting time in lineups for lunch and the lineups for rides are shorter" - then we'd spend 2 hours eating lunch. LOL!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

One more thing- since your kids are 6 and 4, and it will be summer, find all of the "water" cool areas (water spraying and play areas) at the parks- they are near certain rides, etc.) and bring an extra outfit to the parks- Michael loved to jump into those and play for a few minutes during the day- I think it was one of the highlights for him when he was little.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm curious about this too. My kids are 5.5 and 3, so it's at LEAST a year away if not two... but last time I went I was 12 (and I'm 30!) I STIIl remember how much I loved it thought......

Ahh memories!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh and also - I had 2 other guide books for Disneyland, that one was honestly the best (because it's not endorsed by Disney, the reviews are honest). It tells you how scary the rides are and what the disadvantages are for kids (dark, motion sickness, rough, lose things, etc)...also what people though of the rides on a scale of 1-5 by age group (preschool, senior, adult, etc) and what the best times to go are. There's also itinerarys on the back and maps (rough maps, but they give you an idea until you get there and get the actual Disney map).
Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

www.mousesavers.com

I'm jealous!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:27 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I'm knee deep in planning our March Disney vacation so I'm all about researching everything right now. What has really helped me-
1. The Unofficial Guide to DisneyWorld by Bob Sehlinger with Len Testa (get the 2009 version, it does change a bit every year)
2. www.disboards.com
3. www.tourguidemike.com (it costs money, but is so worth it so far! Look at the ads at the top of the www.disboards.com website in the parks section to get a coupon code to use when you sign up at tourguidemike.com)

Enjoy your trip! I'll probably be doing a trip report when I go (2 months and 2 days from now!) if you are interested in reading that.

Last edited by Julie Billingsley; 01-19-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You should contact Kim Lund/MissKim and read her blog. She knows everything Disney and has posted extensive trip reports after each Disney trip.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh just thought of another book, Mickey's Hidden Treasures. It's got little secrets of things around the park you might not find on your own. We also got the Unofficial Guide To WDW and it was a huge help for planning our trip. Ours is the 2007 version but I'd be happy to send it to you to read if you want.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirScrapalot View Post
Ok, when we were there this past summer...Figment was nowhere to be found...I don't know if he is being "phased out"
Nooooooooooo. Is he still on the Journey To Imagination ride?? I will cry.

And okay they have revamped MGM a lot then. LOL
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No, I think the ride is still there...but you can tell it's not what they are focusing on there...there's a bunch of newer rides they are all about.

And yeah, I think they have really beefed up Hollywood Studios recently.
Here's a list of all the big attractions there now:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/par...s/attractions/

Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
We are thinking about going late this summer or next summer.
We are considering going the same time too! We can't decide but are leaning more toward next summer.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirScrapalot View Post
No, I think the ride is still there...but you can tell it's not what they are focusing on there...there's a bunch of newer rides they are all about.

And yeah, I think they have really beefed up Hollywood Studios recently.
Here's a list of all the big attractions there now:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/par...s/attractions/
Well as long as the ride is there. LOL

I don't think they will ever get rid of my favorite attraction... The Tiki Room. I love that place. My mom hates it.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganmecrazy View Post
We are considering going the same time too! We can't decide but are leaning more toward next summer.
You both should go next summer. In June. The first part of June.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

Amanda,
--Orlando's weather is just like Houston's in the summer - hot, humid and it can rain at any time. Make sure you have rain ponchos!
--Get to the park as early as possible.
--If you stay on site, you can get early entry or late stay...your hotel will be able to tell you and give you all the details
--Your boys are a little younger than mine when we took them. Plan your days in two parts - go early in the morning. Go back to the hotel to have lunch/take a nap/play in the pool. Go back to the park later in the afternoon and stay for the light show. Believe me...the afternoon break makes all the difference in the world!
--Don't try to overschedule your days. It will make everyone grouchy (ask me how I know )
--Have a really great time!!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:22 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

There is a promo right now for now through the beginning of this summer. It's buy 4 nights, get 3 free on both hotel and tickets. You have to put down a deposit of $200 by Jan 24th and vacation before 6/27/09. Here is the info link
Old 01-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, we sat down last night and looked at Billy's schedule. He won't be able to take that many consecutive days off this summer. I was bummed. He is building a huge new school and the job breaks ground in June. So we are planning ahead for next year.

So instead we are going to Sea World this year since that is only 3 hours away.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Hollywood Studios was definitely my favorite when I went in November!

The only thing I can think to add is bring bandaids for blisters. I wore sneakers the entire time (and they werent new) and my feet literally bled at night.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefamily View Post
So instead we are going to Sea World this year since that is only 3 hours away.
We had a great time at Sea World last summer! Warning - the water that comes out of Shamu's tank is COLDDDDDDD