Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2024, 10:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default I love summer, but ...

I really love the routine that fall brings!!! My kids don't go back to school until Sept. 3, and I am so looking forward to the schedule and routine ... summer has been chaotic!

Old 08-22-2024, 10:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm opposite.... lol I'm kinda dreading it! Tomorrow is my last day of 'calm before the storm' Our billets get here this weekend, and while school doesn't start until after the labor day holiday, both of the kids' fall sports practices start next week! My son will have both hockey & middle school football- so that already looks overwhelming on my calendar! No rest for the wicked!
Old 08-23-2024, 12:52 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

It was strange at first, not having all those back-to-school routines, but I've adjusted. I still have the leftover feelings from my own school days, and I'm sure leftover feelings from the kiddos' years in school, so I love a new planner and organizing things to start a new season.

I have to say, I really, really, really enjoy my quiet house. LOL

Good luck to you as you get through the remaining days until school starts!

Old 08-23-2024, 02:24 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I partially agree with you, Trina. It had been such a busy summer for us this year and I am ready to have routine back again with Lan & JHZ back to teaching & school, but, I am also kind of sad that this year XYZ is starting kindy.
On Sept 2nd, everyone will be in schools and a big change is here... We'll have to get used to some new routines and somewhat make things work with picking 2 kids from 2 different schools with just slightly different picking times... And once things settled, I'll have to work on filling my time with new things...

So yeah... lots of changes coming to the Zhang's household here
Old 08-23-2024, 10:38 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

No one is going back to school here, but the kids are moving into their new house on the 29th. I am looking forward to it because I like my calm and peace. I have gotten used to it and need it back. LOL
Old 08-23-2024, 11:31 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Am loving not having a kiddo heading back to school, and having a nearly empty nest (my DD will likely live with me for the rest of my life). But my grandkids have all flown the nest. Youngest this past June.

That said, I do miss scouts, riding lessons, and sports ... even chaperoning school field trips, lol!
Old 08-23-2024, 03:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I dislike Summer weather, but I love having everyone home! My oldest went back to College this past Tues. Next Tues the next one leaves and next Wed the last College kid moves back to college. That leaves me and my youngest. She will be a Senior this year, but is homeschooled, so we just do our own thing. She wants to experience some fun Senior year things, so we are going to try and make them happen!

Next year, the youngest graduates and heads to College, but the oldest 2 both graduate. So I won't be an empty nester...but an adult filled household nester instead! It all depends on where they get jobs and if they stay here or move out. Lots of unknowns in our future...but excited for it all too!
Old 08-23-2024, 05:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like back to school but also am not enjoying this crazy busy schedule. My youngest joined water polo so I am getting up super early to drop him at practice which starts at 7am and since it isn't part of his schedule yet I have to pick him up at 830am and get him to school (about 5 mins down the road). He rides a bus from school in the afternoon but it drops him at the zoned high school so I have to pick him up as well. He is attending a magnet school for computer science so it is outside of zone. He is also my social kid so lots of running with him.

The oldest who is almost 20 is under my feet a lot and driving me crazy. He wrecked his car this summer and relies on me or his dad to get him to work. Thankfully work is our church and he doesn't have a strict schedule. He is taking college classes online so he is home a lot! The heat has driven him to want to be in the office more bc he can control the ac in his office...at home his room gets hot...so that is a plus.

I miss my quiet house and love it on the days he is at work. Boys are loud and messy! LOL
Old 08-23-2024, 11:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Ashcraft View Post
It was strange at first, not having all those back-to-school routines, but I've adjusted. I still have the leftover feelings from my own school days, and I'm sure leftover feelings from the kiddos' years in school, so I love a new planner and organizing things to start a new season.
I work for a school board (in HR) so the cycle will continue for me lol

Old 08-23-2024, 11:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I work for a school board (in HR) so the cycle will continue for me lol
You can never escape!

Old 08-23-2024, 11:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Ashcraft View Post
You can never escape!
Not until retirement lol I like the ebb and flow of it, but right now it's like SUPER busy (June and Sept are busy for HR) ... will get through it, but I'm tired to the bone this week lol

Old 08-23-2024, 11:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
Not until retirement lol I like the ebb and flow of it, but right now it's like SUPER busy (June and Sept are busy for HR) ... will get through it, but I'm tired to the bone this week lol

Old 08-24-2024, 12:45 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

School has been back here for a 2.5 weeks now. It's weird this year though because one is gone and the other is at home school (not homeschool). We are counting down to a vacation though, so school starting was a milestone on the way to vacation!

I thought there would be more routine, but we still have summer stuff happening, so maybe the routine will come more in September?

Old 08-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to enjoy the calm before the storm of the back to school and sport activities. I've already received the children's sports schedules, and my role as taxi mum will once again come into its own. Let's hope the school schedules are cool.
But for now, we're enjoying the last week of vacation, back to school on September 2.
Old 08-25-2024, 11:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This summer has been really enjoyable with little rain but enough to keep things green, warm and hot days but nothing too extreme and lots of fun activities were happening around town. But...autumn is my fave time of year. I love sweater weather, the fall migration of the birds so photography is fun, the crisp cool air is refreshing and even though I can make casseroles and crockpot dishes all year round, it is somehow more enjoyable when the weather cools and the days are shorter. Plus, I always enjoy the anticipation of the new fall tv shows coming.
Old 08-25-2024, 12:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

[QUOTE=Cheryl Ashcraft;1063185911

I have to say, I really, really, really enjoy my quiet house. LOL

[/QUOTE]

This. This is 100% me!! Of course, I've gotten used to not having "school days" long ago since our son is pushing 40 years old! LOL! And now, with retirement, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my quiet house!!
Old 08-25-2024, 04:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Those of you with the really busy schedules I commend you. I don't know how some of you do it with all the driving and the home/gone/home all the time. i'm a homebody through and through and so I'm kind of glad both my kids always were too!

Lucas is going into grade 11 this year - kind of wild to think that we're almost nearing the end of this whole back to school stuff.
Old 08-25-2024, 04:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's so strange to hear kids still not back to school. We've been back to school for a month now and I'm getting ready for Parent/Teacher conferences. Our summers go by pretty quick, but I do have a fall break coming up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Old 08-25-2024, 04:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
This. This is 100% me!! Of course, I've gotten used to not having "school days" long ago since our son is pushing 40 years old! LOL! And now, with retirement, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my quiet house!!
YAY for retirement!

Especially since we moved in February and are living in my grandmother's 1940's cottage now, there's a different quiet here. There's a local church that has bells (they are electronic, I believe, but sound like a traditional bell), and I love hearing that in the quiet. We do have a busy road and two businesses across the way. One of the businesses is quite busy during the work week, but it's very quiet from Friday afternoon to Monday morning.

There's something about wandering about the house and it just being me, not having to worry about what someone else wants to eat, or watch, or do . . .

Old 08-25-2024, 06:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No back to school here but definitely trying to find my new "normal" so to speak - lots of big changes occurred over the last two months which has thrown whatever bit of routine I did have out the window. I know I'll adjust but it takes time

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for Studio Liv & The Lilypad

Old 08-26-2024, 12:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am not looking forward to back to school. I am hoping this is my last first day of the new school year. I enjoy the lack of routine summer brings and having coffee on the deck in the morning and doing my house stuff when I feel like it during the day. However, I look forward to receiving that pay cheque again, lol.
Old 08-26-2024, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cheryl - I can just imagine how enjoyable it is to hear the church bells pealing. When we stayed in a B&B across from a church this past spring, I really loved hearing them bells every hour. Loud yet so peaceful at the same time.
Old 08-26-2024, 06:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My youngest (15) started school today and I'm ready for it. I like to have some routine and he was on such a teen schedule of staying up late and sleeping late and it screwed up our meal plans a lot. He was super chatty when he got home so I think he was excited to see friends again on a regular basis.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:34 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
Cheryl - I can just imagine how enjoyable it is to hear the church bells pealing. When we stayed in a B&B across from a church this past spring, I really loved hearing them bells every hour. Loud yet so peaceful at the same time.
We're far enough away that it's pleasant and not too loud. I will often stop in my tracks and will even go out on the front porch to listen to them. On Saturdays and Sundays, they play hymns as well.

Old 09-01-2024, 10:29 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Empty nester here. We're done college and she has been out in her own apartment for 2 years come December and working. Hubby retired fall of 2020.

I love a peaceful house and luckily hubby does his things while I do mine for the better part of most days so the retirement stuff is working. Love having me daughter over but I adore watching her live her wonderful big new life.

Like others in the thread, I stayed involved in the schools with chaperoning or even being class mom back in 5th grade. When she joined the band, that became a regular volunteer area for me too. For my daughter's senior year of HS I drove her back and forth almost every single day and don't regret that decision for a moment. So many convo's that would never have happened. I loved it.

A part of me loves regular routine as long as I have the freedom to mess with it when I want.