Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2024, 10:34 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default 10 Scrapbooking Questions

I am curious about the following life and scrapping questions.

1. How old are you? How old were you when you started scrapbooking?
2. How long have you been scrapping. (I know I could probably figure it out from the question above, but that is math and math is ugh for me.)
3. What is your favorite color?
4. What color do you scrap with the most?
5. Title or no title on your layout?
6. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit?
7. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without?
8. How many photos on your average layout?
9. How would you describe your scrapping style?
10. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap?

That's it. I'd love to see all of you answer, so that I can learn a little more about what makes the scrapper in you tick.
Old 06-17-2024, 12:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

43, I scrapbooked my dental hygiene school requirements! lol So started in college- but didn't start digital until 2008

2. How long have you been scrapping. (I know I could probably figure it out from the question above, but that is math and math is ugh for me.)
23-ish years probably

Teal/turquoise

Prob blue- as it's everyone in my house's favorite

Almost always a title- but if I can use wordarts for a title I love that

Buttons

stitching

Average would prob be 3

Everything but the kitchen sink I love pretty things & want to use ALL.THE.THINGS

Sister does some paper scrapping & I've helped a few other moms I know get started with digiscrapping- but none that are close family or friends. They do joke that they can't wait to see that on a layout when we take pics & events though!
Old 06-17-2024, 12:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

47 see math below

-- 16yrs so I was around 31yrs old at the time

purples and blues

pretty much all except oranges

usually no titles unless using word arts or premade

flowers, foliage, butterflies, wordart

I would say these could be limited qty or left out: basics like buttons, clips, arrows

no more than 4

depends on my mood

nope

Old 06-17-2024, 01:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. How old are you? How old were you when you started scrapbooking? 43. Maybe 15, I've always had scrapbooks
2. How long have you been scrapping. (I know I could probably figure it out from the question above, but that is math and math is ugh for me.) Digital since summer 2006, paper w/ stickers & funky scissors since 1995/1996 ish.
3. What is your favorite color? Purples/Blues
4. What color do you scrap with the most? More blues than anything or neutral
5. Title or no title on your layout? title
6. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit? flowers
7. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without? reskinned alphabets, I usually pull from my stash of stand alone alphas
8. How many photos on your average layout? 3 or more
9. How would you describe your scrapping style? LOL, whatever you'd call Cindy's. I think it's classic
10. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap? My MIL paper scraps, I had a few of my Air Force friends that have tried digi over the years, but I don't think any of them stuck with it.
Old 06-17-2024, 01:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

50. I was 24 (same year I gave birth to my first child), but I used to collect photos, tickets, programs, memorabilia and such and put in photo albums way back in high school.

26 years paper scrapping... 2009 I started digital, 15 years

purple

I thought I scrapped pink the most (3 girls) but apparently after peeking in my gallery, I use a lot of browns/tans and wood backgrounds.

title

foliage

hmmmmm maybe frames or journaling cards? I don't use those that much anymore.

1-3

Lots of layers n clusters

I taught all my kids to scrap, but they don't anymore...
My sister in law does paper scrapping occasionally.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 06-17-2024, 02:54 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

1. How old are you? How old were you when you started scrapbooking? 68. Scrapping as we know it today, 43 years old.

2. How long have you been scrapping. (I know I could probably figure it out from the question above, but that is math and math is ugh for me.) 25 years starting with CM products in 1999. Switched to digital in 2008. However, I was cutting out newspaper articles and putting them into artist books since my teens. I also always put my photos in albums (magnetic... eek!) So in all reality I've been doing some sort of scrapping for over 50 years.

3. What is your favorite color? Purple

4. What color do you scrap with the most? Teal/Blue and autumn colors. I have a thing for autumn kits!

5. Title or no title on your layout? Depends on the layout

6. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit? I've been using flowers and foliage much more in the last few years.

7. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without? Stitching, paint, frames

8. How many photos on your average layout? More than 1

9. How would you describe your scrapping style? Classic with the photos and journaling the focus of the layout.

10. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap? Yes, some of my closest friends I met through scrapbooking. I also found out in 2002 when I cleaned out a closet in the master bedroom that my mother had made a scrapbook of their wedding back in 1954. It was falling apart so I took it apart and put it into a CM album. She also did scrapbooks of my childhood that were falling apart. I also transferred them to CM albums. Sadly, she had passed away before I actually started with CM.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. How old are you?

2. How long have you been scrapping.
About 20 years

Navy Blue

Blue and green

Always a title

Leaves/greenery

Mixed media/paint splatters etc

Used to be multiple. These days more often 1-2

Clean, photo focused

No
Old 06-17-2024, 04:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. How old are you? How old were you when you started scrapbooking? I'm 44 and I've been scrapping since I was 23...
2. How long have you been scrapping?... which is 21 years!
3. What is your favorite color? Pink!
4. What color do you scrap with the most? I'm the only human girl in this house so sadly, not pink. Probably some boring neutral brown or white.
5. Title or no title on your layout? If I can use a wordart piece as a title, great. Otherwise, no. There are no titles left in me after 21 years!
6. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit? Mixed media for my background!
7. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without? String. I just can't get it to look or sit right on my pages.
8. How many photos on your average layout? Depends. My favorite pages are moment pages which are usually only 1 or 2. The event pages are 4-6.
9. How would you describe your scrapping style? Nowadays, pretty simple. I'm living my life more fully than I ever have so when I sit down to scrap, I scrap a page in 30 minutes(ish) so I can get back to living!
10. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap? I got my mom into paper scrapping about 10 years ago.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:30 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Going to be 40 this year. I started scrapbooking at 24, I think.
I've scrapped for 16 years, I started in November 2008.
Blue.
I just browsed my gallery really quickly and it seems that I use brown a lot.
Always title.
Patterned paper.
Flower.
I'll say plenty. If I scrap without template, I usually do 1 photo layout, but if it's a template, I tend to pick one with a lot of photos on it.
Layers & clusters heavy.
No.
Old 06-18-2024, 12:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

48... I started scrapbooking when I was 30, unless you count yearbook editor two years in a row in high school then it would be 16.

I did paper when I first started, but it wasn't until my son was born that I switched to do more digital... so 17 years.

My favorite color is navy or dark teal.

I don't know if I have a certain color that is most - I know pink is the least.

99% of my layouts have titles

leaves... or branches, something with greens. I find it hard to use flowers without them. and Scatters... love scatters and if they are in the kit, I will use them.

Depends on my mood, but usually odd 3D objects.

I don't think I have an average... it's as many photos as I need to tell the story. I usually start with the number of photos and find a template with that number. We do need more one photo templates. lol.

Everything but the kitchen sink? is that a style? lol. Again, it depends on my mood... I love a good artsy page, too. I struggle with clean version with tiny photos/elements and lots of whitespace.

My mom does a lot of shutterfly scrapbooks and my aunt also digitally scrapbooks. I have a few IRL friends that scrapbook, but it's traditional paper based.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:13 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

It is so interesting to read all your different answers, but I have to say it is sad that most of us don't have any people in our circles who digi scrap. I too have tried to teach my sister, aunts, cousins and none of them were interested.
Old 06-19-2024, 11:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's interesting to learn more about everyone!

1. How old are you? How old were you when you started scrapbooking? 49, and I started at 29 when my oldest child was a few months old
2. How long have you been scrapping. (I know I could probably figure it out from the question above, but that is math and math is ugh for me.) 20 years, all digital
3. What is your favorite color? Purple
4. What color do you scrap with the most? Blue, but I have to stop myself from using woodgrains and similar neutrals on every layout.
5. Title or no title on your layout? I never make titles or think of something creative, but I always use word art or a word strip and just call that the title.
6. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit? Solid papers and foliage
7. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without? Alphabets and frames (I love the idea of frames, but they're never the right size and shape.)
8. How many photos on your average layout? I'm all over the place. My favorite LOs to scrap are 1-3 photos, but I also do a lot of LOs with more.
9. How would you describe your scrapping style? Traditional/classic with a focus on the photos and stories
10. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap? I know a couple of people who paper scrap, but as their kids have gotten older they've cut back a lot or stopped. I have, too, but it's a combination of older kids and more time and energy spent on work.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:20 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

1. How old are you? How old were you when you started scrapbooking? I started as a kid - so about 45 years ago

2. How long have you been scrapping. (I know I could probably figure it out from the question above, but that is math and math is ugh for me.) 45 years off and on

3. What is your favorite color? I have several and are usually shades of a primary color

4. What color do you scrap with the most? I love scrapping with a black back ground so colors pop

5. Title or no title on your layout? Depends on what it is that I’m scrapping
6. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit? Flowers and I love daisys

7. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without? Unrealistic looking string, ribbons etc. I hate extra curly looking things. They don’t look normal on a page to me

8. How many photos on your average layout? 4

9. How would you describe your scrapping style? Eceletic but since I started as a paper scrapper I lean in that direction

10. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap? No
Old 06-20-2024, 04:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. How old are you? How old were you when you started scrapbooking? I started paper scrapping when I was in High School, but digiscrapping in 2006 when my youngest was born (digital camera, meant digital layouts)
2. How long have you been scrapping. (I know I could probably figure it out from the question above, but that is math and math is ugh for me.) 34 years? All in paper and digital. Digital 17 years! WOW! I had no clue it was that long! That's crazy!
3. What is your favorite color? Green and Teal
4. What color do you scrap with the most? Green, yellow, teal
5. Title or no title on your layout? Depends on the layout or space. Usually a title though.
6. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit? greenery and flowers- especially sunflowers or daisies
7. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without? metal charms. Sometimes I can work them into my page, but other times they go unused.
8. How many photos on your average layout? 5 to 10
9. How would you describe your scrapping style? Full! I struggle to do single photo layouts. I would much rather fill the page with photos, papers, and elements and be done with that memory to move onto something else!
10. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap? One of my good friends was the one who introduced me to digital scrapbooking. And I met my Best Friend through a scrapbook site (she was scrapping photos from Yellowstone and we had a trip planned. We started talking, and developed a friendship! We have even taken 2 trips together). I have quite a few facebook friends who do or have digiscrapped in the past and I have gotten to know them from different sites. Some are still scraping and others have moved on to other things. No family members are digi scrappers though!
Old 06-21-2024, 06:50 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

This has been interesting to read. Here are my answers:

I am 57. I started scrapbooking when I was 35 and my daughter was 3.

I scrapped from 2003 to 2014 then stopped for 7 years. I came back to it in 2021. During the 7 year break I got rid of about 97% of the old paper and cardmaking supplies. This second run I am digital only/mostly. I am also a journaler/planner and do some hybrid here and there.

Brown with green a close second.

Brown but really it depends on the photos.

Yes title. I love alphas.

I love a neutral base. Like a cream or beige cardstock with a little texture.

flowers

I am all over the place with this.

Paper inspired. Everything I save on Pinterest is from like Studio Calico 2012

I have 2 local friends who paper scrap. I met them about 20 years ago. We were in a kit club that had an active message board. We realized we live near each other and our Michaels had a crop night so we would get together there. We didn't buy anything at Michaels just brought our kit club kits and used those. Hah!
Old 06-21-2024, 09:07 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

1. How old are you? How old were you when you started scrapbooking? Soon to be 51 and 35
2. How long have you been scrapping. (I know I could probably figure it out from the question above, but that is math and math is ugh for me.) 16
3. What is your favorite color? Emerald Green
4. What color do you scrap with the most? Blue/Green/Purple
5. Title or no title on your layout? Title
6. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit? Alpha
7. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without? Washi Tape
8. How many photos on your average layout? 4
9. How would you describe your scrapping style? Mostly Clean and simple (halfway between a Cindy template and a Janet Phillips Template )
10. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap? No

Last edited by liriel; 06-21-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm 44. I have been scrapbooking of some sort for as long as I can remember. Does anyone remember the Lisa Frank stickers? I was obsessed with them when I was a kid!

Probably since I first discovered stickers when I was in Kindergarten, so 39 years. I only started digital when my son was a year old in 2008, so 16 years for digital.

teal

Probably shades of blue.

I prefer titles.

pretty flowers

Chunky frames, I just can't make them look right on a page.

I'd guess 3.

I guess traditional. I am not good with the art journal pages.

Nope
Old 06-22-2024, 08:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. How old are you? How old were you when you started scrapbooking? 64 in July ... I started scrapping in 2006, so I was 46. WOW! That makes me feel OLD!
2. How long have you been scrapping. (I know I could probably figure it out from the question above, but that is math and math is ugh for me.) 18 years of scrapping.
3. What is your favorite color? Pink
4. What color do you scrap with the most? I am drawn to anything with pink ... but also love to scrap with nature kits filled with greens and browns.
5. Title or no title on your layout? Most of the time, a title
6. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit? Definitely foliage and flowers. Multiple kinds of foliage is better yet.
7. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without? I have a hard time fitting flairs in to clusters I create.
8. How many photos on your average layout? Three
9. How would you describe your scrapping style? Lots of clusters. I enjoy creating pages that are full of photos and clusters, but even when I create a page of mainly white space, I still like to add a cluster or two.
10. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap? Not currently, but I have been asked to help a few friends learn, but those plans have not came to fruition yet.
Old 06-23-2024, 01:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. How long have you been scrapping? Since 2008
2. What is your favorite color? Turquoise, followed by red
3. What color do you scrap with the most? I pretty much scrap with all colors, though having three boys, I find it harder to scrap with kits that feature pink
4. Title or no title on your layout? It depends on the page
5. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit? Variety!
6. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without? I really can't think of anything!
7. How many photos on your average layout? 1-2
8. How would you describe your scrapping style? Cluster
9. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap? No
Old 06-23-2024, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

1. How old are you? How old were you when you started scrapbooking? 59, and I was 40 when I started digital scrapping, just after getting a digital camera for my birthday.

2. How long have you been scrapping? I was paper scrapping first and started that just after my oldest was born, so probably about 27 years.

3. What is your favorite color? Blue

4. What color do you scrap with the most? I don't think that there is one particular color that stands out.

5. Title or no title on your layout? Almost always at least a word art title

6. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit? A variety of flowers, even for my more masculine pages.

7. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without? I don't typically use frames.

8. How many photos on your average layout? Most often I create LO's with several photos, but I also like pages with just 1 or 2.....

9. How would you describe your scrapping style? Probably traditional - I like a lot of stuff on my pages with multiple clusters and plenty of photos and journaling.

10. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap? I have a group of friends who used to get together for scrapbooking when we all did paper, but I don't know anyone else who creates digital pages.

Old 06-24-2024, 08:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. How old are you? How old were you when you started scrapbooking? I am 48, and I started when I was 25

2. How long have you been scrapping. (I know I could probably figure it out from the question above, but that is math and math is ugh for me.) 23 years!

3. What is your favorite color? This changes, but right now I think it's green.

4. What color do you scrap with the most? I don't know that I have one, but I do know that I prefer deep/bright/saturated colors and struggle with pastels, soft colors, or monochromatic colors

5. Title or no title on your layout? Almost always a title

6. What is one thing that you need in every scrapbook kit? Lots of different kinds of foliage, bonus if there is a wispy grass or vine!

7. What is something that seems to be in every kit that you could do without? tabs in many colors, heavy-looking fasteners, some stamps

8. How many photos on your average layout? a million

9. How would you describe your scrapping style? "All the Things" style. Is that a style?

10. Do any of your real life family or friends also scrap? Not really. I've had friends dabble in the hobby, but no one has taken a deep dive as I have, haha

Old 06-25-2024, 07:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm 51 now. I think I started paper scrapping when I was about 30 or so.

About 20ish years.

Pink, but I don't scrap with it often.

Probably blue because I do a lot of outdoor layouts.

I usually like a title on my layout, or at least a pocket card with some sort of sentiment on it.

Foliage & Flowers

I don't use clips very often.

Probably 3-6. I still do a lot of pocket scrapping and 99% of the time do double page layouts. However, I also like to use big photos, so for a 2 page spread it could be anywhere from 5-12 or so photos.

Clustery with quite a few photos.

No. Most don't even understand it!

Old 06-25-2024, 08:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Still reading these and finding out interesting things.
Old 06-26-2024, 01:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

36, nearly 37. I started card making & paper scrapping when I was 11 and went to Digi at 17 or 18 I think while doing a web design course at high school.
On and off for about 25/26 years - I would go through large chunks of time due to life commitments (university/college study, working and ill health) where I either didn't scrap much or didn't scrap at all.
Growing up it was solidly pink and purple, now probably red but any kind of bright bold jewel colour usually.
Bright bold colours mostly, I'm not a fan of a lot of browns, weird shades of greens or yellow (I always seem to struggle with recolouring stuff to yellow)
Title...usually a word art even though I am a "certified alpha hoarder"
Hmm, can't narrow it down to one thing. In no particular order...paint or gesso, stitching, staples, patterned papers
Buttons or clips of any kind....probably clips as I've never mastered the art of attaching them to other papers/elements
1-2
Simple but artsy
They used to. My mum and one of my friends did. I think my friend still does card making but my mum has stopped....I'm sure if she didn't have Long COVID she might still scrap but for her the fatigue is too much to do anything other than eat, sleep and work.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Last edited by littlekiwi; 06-26-2024 at 12:34 PM.