Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2024, 02:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default I Can't Focus, and It's Making Me Crazy!

Can anyone else relate to this??

I have plenty of time, especially since I'm a teacher on summer break, but it feels like my brain is on break, too...and it has been for as long as I can remember. I'd say, "lol," but it's not funny, kwim?

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution for it? I'm currently taking Ashwaganda (because, thanks to perimenopause, my progesterone tanks out the week before my period and makes me a walking monster), but it hasn't helped my brain focus at all.

When I sit down to accomplish a task, like working on our finances or thinking ahead to the next school year or making a menu/grocery list, it's like a bouncy ball is thumping around in my brain and I end up scrolling Instagram or playing a game on my phone. Even when I put my phone in another room, my brain is still on bounce mode.

I don't even know what kind of doctor helps in situations like this, so that's why I'm asking my Sweet Shoppe peeps. Surely someone here can relate!
Old 07-31-2024, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am right there with you! I ended up taking Adderall for ADD. Your primary care doc should be able to help you with it too. You may need to increase the amount of ashwagandha. I think Saffron is another that is suppose to help naturally. Also, 20 to 30 mins of exercise helps (I am not great at this one)
Old 07-31-2024, 10:52 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I call it "getting lost in the weeds" and I do it a lot, especially when I am designing. My brain never stops, which is why I don't sleep well and am always bouncing from one thing to the next. I take anxiety meds to help with it, but I still bounce.

I've tried lists and a bullet planner to be more organized and focused, but it didn't help much. I just ended up doodling all over things like a school girl.

The only way I get things done is to go to my office without any distractions like my phone or music, open the computer to photoshop and stay away from the web until I have accomplished something. The older I get the harder it is to do.
Old 07-31-2024, 11:08 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Me! That's me! It's awful. I haven't really done much to battle it. I did start taking ashwagandha also but not a huge difference. It helps if I'm getting a good night's sleep but it's summer and my teens are up until 2 am so I'm not sleeping well.

Old 07-31-2024, 11:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Have you had your thyroid tested? "Scatterbrain" is the best way I can describe it, was definitely one of the symptoms I was experiencing before I was diagnosed with a thyroid issue. Not to say that is the problem, but if you haven't had blood work done from your family doctor recently, it may be worth it to have a conversation with your dr because just not feeling yourself can be your body's way of trying to get your attention! It may be nothing, but speaking from experience of putting off how crappy I was feeling for years, I was almost relieved when I realized it wasn't all in my head. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I'm no expert, obviously, but as women, we generally take care of everyone else but ourselves.
Old 07-31-2024, 12:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm right there with you, my friend! It's so annoying!! I start the day with good intentions, and sometimes lists but have a very hard time focusing and staying on task.
Old 08-02-2024, 09:38 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BluEyedBabi View Post
Have you had your thyroid tested? "Scatterbrain" is the best way I can describe it, was definitely one of the symptoms I was experiencing before I was diagnosed with a thyroid issue. Not to say that is the problem, but if you haven't had blood work done from your family doctor recently, it may be worth it to have a conversation with your dr because just not feeling yourself can be your body's way of trying to get your attention! It may be nothing, but speaking from experience of putting off how crappy I was feeling for years, I was almost relieved when I realized it wasn't all in my head. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I'm no expert, obviously, but as women, we generally take care of everyone else but ourselves.
I forget about how much Thyroid issues mess with everything. Not having one means I rely totally on medication and have it checked every six months. There have been some changes made recently, but I am still scatterbrained.
Old 08-03-2024, 11:58 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think we live in a world with a huge amount of input for our brains on a constant basis. Sometimes I find that when I spend the day going down rabbitholes of nonsense rather than accomplishing things, it can be from procrastination - for whatever the reason. But what you describe is also a common complaint I hear from a great many women over 35. Yup, it can be from a medical condition but it can also just be a part of aging. Discuss with your doctor at your next appointment.
Old 08-03-2024, 04:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I absolutely can relate! I've been on Tamoxifen following my breast cancer and it causes brain fog. I used to be able to multi-task, but nowadays, I just try to focus on one thing or area at a time. I only have one year left on this medication. I'm gonna be really interested to see how things change when I stop taking it.

I know that I'm more focused when use a brain dump in my planner. It gets out all those little tasks that keep running around in my brain while I'm trying to do something important. Maybe that would help? If you are having trouble sleeping, doing this right before bed has helped me.

I will say that I don't always do that. Because of the brain fog. LOL

Old 08-05-2024, 01:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I was going to say, that sounds like perimenopause. I am just researching all the symptoms of this so I am unsure to to "fix" most but it's a likely cause if this is a new thing for you.