View Single Post
Old 10-16-2022, 09:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Lots of hugs and sympathy! I wouldn't go as far as to say my oldest (now 19) ever hated me, but during his senior year of HS every time we went on a family vacation he was resentful and adopted the attitude that if he wasn't enjoying himself, no one was going to. (I'm sure it would have happened the few years before that, too, but because of the pandemic we spent his junior year and half of his sophomore year at home.) He wanted to be home, in his room, relaxing and playing on his computer, not forced to share a hotel room with his siblings, go out and do things with us, etc.

Our situation was shorter term than yours, so I don't know how applicable it is for you. But what helped a little for us was making some concessions for him and making sure he knew that we were doing it to accomodate his wishes so that he felt heard and understood. We loosened the reins and let him spend more time on the things he could still do during our time away. For example, when we were back in the hotel in the evening we let him stay up later playing video games than we would have at home. A few times we all left the hotel room to do something while he stayed behind so that he had some time to himself. Things like that helped him feel like we were sympathetic even if we weren't going to do what he wanted and all stay home all the time. I won't lie and say that solved everything, but it took his resentment and rudeness down a notch.