View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Back up, back up, back up!

On Prime Day I bought a USB powered external hard drive. I no longer use my desktop that sits in the basement. I have been exclusively using my laptop. My old external has to be plugged into power and isn't portable. No bueno when you are trying to use a laptop.

Anyway, I plugged both drives into the laptop and started transferring from the old to the new. I got partway through my digi supplies and my old external freaked on me. My digi folder on there is now completely not responding. I can access every other folder except my digi-scrapping one. YEARS (like 15) of kits and probably thousands of dollars are in that folder!

Thankfully, when my drive was connected downstairs it was backed up to Crash Plan. I've been retrieving files for days now. It is a slow going process. The crazy thing was, I had just cancelled my Crash Plan. I've been using their service since 2013 and finally decided to move to something different. I cancelled it and I was exactly ONE day before my files would have been deleted! I quickly re-subscribed and started downloading my files. It cost me $20 to do so instead of the cheap price I was grandfathered in at before I dropped my plan, but well worth it to retrieve my precious files!!

Long story short, ALWAYS back up. Then back up your back up files!!

Once I am finished, I am going to purchase another external and back up to it as well. I've also started Back Blaze with my laptop and the new EHD. I learned my lesson... don't skip the online backups.

Where else can I back up to? I have some kits in Google Drive, but my unlimited Google Drive will only last as long as my job does. I'm not intending to leave right now or anything but I also don't want to have all my personal stuff tied to my work account.