View Single Post
Old 01-23-2024, 11:42 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
aww I love that brook. I fell down a hole on reddit reading all about these movies and the differences between ghibli and traditional disney/pixar movies and I thought this was a nice writeup:

"Ghibli's stories are often much smaller and more personal. Even when the set pieces are incredible. Sure, some of their most famous movies are fantasy epics.

But look at this subreddit. When people ponder Ghibli, they often fondly think of farmhouses under blue skies and fluffy clouds explored by little kids. A teenage witch setting out to find her place in the world. High schoolers scrambling to save their clubhouse.

Ghibli's movies, even when steeped in fantasy, show us the world as we saw it when we were kids. They let us reminisce about the time when being a good man was as simple as being an honest pig who respects women and does the right thing. About the purity of a dream to make humanity fly. The awkwardness of young love, where you rush to catch a falling girl but then don't know what to do with her.

Or how whatever it is you're into as a teenager feels like the most important thing in the world. Especially if that thing is a dusty clubhouse you share with other high school kids who are into things far less interesting than your thing.

A magic house that gives people superpowers is really cool and I enjoyed that Disney movie a lot. But I can't relate to that.

What I can relate to, with the most tender part of my heart, is that absolute perfect moment of racing your bicycle down a hill. With the girl you have a crush on sitting on the back. The sun in your face, the wind in your hair, the blue sky above you. And her laughter sounds like music behind you.

That first time you learn that it is possible to have a moment where everything just fits together perfectly and you'll remember it for a lifetime.

Ghibli gets those moments."
I think for me, it's the scenery in the movies and the sound effects (like the sound of water, wind, etc) and music soundtrack. The music is just right. Also the sense of magic is just enough to bring back the child in me.