View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 11:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That sounds really fun Sarah!

A favorite tradition in our household is "sisters gifts". Every year my husband and I alternate which kid we take shopping and she is given $25 to pick out something for her sister.

The point is for each girl to think of her sister (instead of herself which they tend to do around the gift giving season) and what her likes and dislikes are and to have something special just from her to give on Christmas. Maybe some day they'll even spend their own hard earned money on it? Lol.. but since we started it when they were so little they didn't have their own money yet.

The first year we did it was my absolute favorite because it was a last minute idea the day before Christmas Eve. The girls were 3 and 5 at the time. The hubs and I jumped in the car and drove to Toys R Us. As you can imagine, so close to Christmas, it was utter chaos. Since we didn't want the girls to see each other's presents, we spent as much time "on the lookout", diving in and out of aisles when we saw each other and hiding from each other as we spent looking for the actual present. It was so fun and we all laughed a lot. I've found it's impossible to recreate that impulsive moment/reaction even as much fun as it was, so now we make an afternoon of it and each of us takes one girl out to eat, shopping and spending quality one on one time while looking for her sister gift.

The girls look forward to it each year and they have surprised me at how well they've been able to keep their present a secret for weeks before Christmas!