View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, minus the awkward relationship part (yikes!) I've gone through that same thing. My dd wanted to quit gymnastics a whole year before I finally let her. Here's the reason I made her wait so long... she has a reputation for being fickle. She'll hate something one month, love it the next, and despise it the following. I wasn't about to let her quit and then wish she hadn't a few months later. We finally had a heart to heart about it floating the pool one day and I told her I would let her. When she started missing it I let her take a jazz class and she really liked it.

That's the tricky thing about gymnastics, it can't really be a life long thing unless you want to coach or judge. So... I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I get the struggle. I cried my eyes out our last day in the gym. And I kinda had to fight through some angry feelings I had towards HER because she made the choice to leave and I lost the 'gym mom' status. I had to sort of reinvent myself, detach myself from her and not put my identity in HER activities. It's hard to separate ourselves from our kids lives sometimes.

Consider this though, if your dd has been this committed and dedicated to her sport all these years (and you know gymnastics is all-in!) I'm sure she will find some other activity to be passionate about. KWIM? She might be ready to pour her energy out into something else.