View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 04:39 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I worked at a small CPA firm when my mom passed in 1996. I had to go to Florida from Ohio to be with her at the end. It was over Christmas so I ended up with 13 days off of work because my dad and I had to come back to Ohio (as did Mom). I was salary so paid time off was not an issue. My co-workers closed the office to come to the viewing but not the funeral which was on Dec 31. My boss was on vacation during this time as well but did call to check on me a couple of times.

When my Dad passed away in 2016, I was working at a different company. Almost 200 employees but they did have a policy that addressed days off. The number of days depended on how close the relationship was. I had 3 days but took another 1.5 vacation days to deal with post funeral things. He passed away on Tuesday in NC and had to be brought back to Ohio to have the funeral. And, because of my job I actually worked half-days on Wed/Thurs/Fri to do some things that I had no backup for. I ended up with 3 days off the next week. The HR director asked me if there was something I preferred as to a memorial instead of flowers. I chose a wind chime. They normally did flowers or wind chimes or a donation to a charity. Several people came to the viewing which was on Father's Day. The co-owner of the company and 1 other person in management took the time out of their day to come to the funeral the next morning. I worked closely with both of them. Many employees also stopped by my desk to give me their condolences.