View Single Post
Old 02-20-2024, 11:48 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Welcome, Vicky! We love it when we get a new community member who is as excited about digital scrapbooking as we are.

Since I started designing, I don't scrap near as much, but I am happy to add my answers to your questions.

1. Do you always use templates? I tend to use templates because it gives me a better idea of how my page will turn out. I also use them because when I design my own layout, I spend a lot of time, too much really, moving things about only to end up where I started in the first place. The time I can waste just moving things a tiny bit is amazing. Templates help me finish a layout much faster.

2. Do you only use elements and papers from one kit? Yep, I do. If I were to go into my stash to find different elements, I would be there for hours. The kits here at SSD are some of the biggest ones out there because we designers want to be sure you have everything you need in it to create the layout you want.

3. How do you save your layouts for print? When I am ready to print, I will flatten and save them at 3600x3600 and 300 dpi. But I always keep a full sized layered tiff file of my pages too. Printing does not mean I can let the original version go.

4. Favorite printing site? Probably shutterfly because I like to make albums and don't tend to print individual layouts.

5. Any other beginners tips? You've already gotten a lot of great tips, but I think the best one is just have fun. Don't put pressure on yourself over any aspect of it and just enjoy the process. Also, I think it is important to learn what you need to know about your program so you can make it do what you want and then learn about techniques that intrigue you. Finally, look at galleries, newsletters, magazines and anything else that inspires you. When I am out and about, I will actually take a photos of things that catch my "design" eye for inspiration.