View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 12:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I work on a 17" Lenova Ideapad Y700 that I bought customized with better graphics drive off Amazon. It's been several years and I have yet to have a problem with it. I find the screen plenty big for me to work on. But a 17" is heavy if you plan to regularly take it places. My ancient eyes refuse to go back to anything smaller. Note, be very wary of buying a HD screen. It made things so tiny that I handed THAT laptop to my husband as his back-up!!! With laptops, be ready to have extra portable hard drives to work from as they don't make the internal drives very big anymore. At the time I bought this, it was rated actually BETTER than the macs!

Be wary of Windows 11 - you can no longer see into your folders. Buy one that is backwards compatible to Windows 10. I have read that Windows 11 was based off of Windows 10 and you should be able to put Windows 10 onto your machine, but ask questions before you buy.

Years ago I switched from Mac to PC firstly because there were no longer enough programs for the mac (probably no longer the case), how one worked with fonts and activating fonts, etc., changed greatly and even after taking a class on the new operating system, I was still confused. Also, back then I couldn't use the same font files on both a mac and a pc. Finally, my dad had a connection for a great discount on a Dell at the time and said he'd buy it for me! LOL. The current issue I see for designers with the mac is that it creates all those extra files that customers on pc have to toss - it's annoying.

All-in-all, I love working in a lounge chair with my feet up, with the laptop truly on my lap (along with a pillow and something to dispense with heat build-up) and my mouse on the leather arm of my chair. My back no longer likes sitting at a desk set-up for long so for me, this is an ideal set-up.