Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   QOTD - Missing You - 11.05.15 (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82698)

LeeAndra 11-05-2015 01:12 AM

QOTD - Missing You - 11.05.15

I'm baaaaaack! Did you miss me?! :o:w00t::wub::D

Speaking of... what's something you miss abt your childhood? It can be a thing, a person, a place...

What I'm going to say sounds silly, but I miss mix tapes (and the process of making them). Making someone a mix tape was a COMMITMENT! It was so great to get this piece of this person, too. The completely amateur quality of the making of such with the inconsistent stops and starts, the gaps between songs, etc... you just don't get that personal touch anymore.

michelepixels 11-05-2015 01:24 AM

The first thing that pops into my mind that I miss from childhood is having someone else be responsible for deciding what to make for dinner, and making it. :)

I enjoyed recording songs from the radio onto tapes. I still have some I made. The only place I can play audiotapes anymore, though, is in my van! It is funny to listen to them and hear bits of station identification and weirdly cut-off songs.

crystalbella77 11-05-2015 01:40 AM

I miss getting a lot of sleep. :D :D For real.

littlekiwi 11-05-2015 02:59 AM

How easy it seemed to be to make friends then. Its not that it isn't now but as adults I think we tend to have a smaller group of people that we consider to be friends than we did when we were younger. I know I've certainly noticed that in the 10 years since I finished high school.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020X using Tapatalk

nietis 11-05-2015 06:10 AM

Childhood... Hmmm... I miss my grandma and playing at her house...
She passed away when I was 15, it was a big loss for me, because I was so close to her :(

JenM 11-05-2015 09:08 AM

My husband and I still make mix tapes but just in a newer way! We make each other playlists in iTunes. I've even made them for my kids and then put them on their iPads for them to listen to.

I miss not having to make a decision. I feel like as the mom I have to make all the decisions and sometimes it is just tiring.

joelsgirl 11-05-2015 09:23 AM

What I miss the most is being able to wear Umbros and a t-shirt and feel good about myself. Going to youth group? Umbros and a tee. Going to the mall? Umbros and a tee. It's not like it was cool, but I didn't know that, and I miss being oblivious. Oblivious and comfortable. Those were the days.

carrie1977 11-05-2015 09:41 AM

Umbros? Is that undies? Never heard that one before.

I think I just miss the simplicity of life then. Adulting is hard stuff.

YepBrook 11-05-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsgirl (Post 1062778421)
What I miss the most is being able to wear Umbros and a t-shirt and feel good about myself. Going to youth group? Umbros and a tee. Going to the mall? Umbros and a tee. It's not like it was cool, but I didn't know that, and I miss being oblivious. Oblivious and comfortable. Those were the days.

Yes!!! I had a few pairs of Umbros. My favorite was a black pair with white trim. I also miss the simplicity of fashion back then. Or, being oblivious of fashion. :)

cherrygutz 11-05-2015 10:24 AM

I think it's the simplicity of everything, my parents and that big red payphone with circular thing with numbers.

eranslow 11-05-2015 10:25 AM

Umbros were soccer shorts. And oh yes I totally wore them!

And I think I miss the same thing as Jennifer - how easy it was to make friends. Especially living in Iowa where it seems like everyone knows each other in some way! (It's almost like the 7 thingies to Kevin Bacon around here! Lol)

marlathrall 11-05-2015 10:30 AM

I miss family dinners with all five of my siblings and my parents. Now we live all over the place and are happy to see everyone once a year. :(

breakingbrie 11-05-2015 10:35 AM

I'm with Jen and Carrie. I miss things being simple and easy. So many decisions and being in charge of everyone else when you grow up and become a parent! My kids think they have it so hard :D

clearskies 11-05-2015 11:42 AM

Oh the umbros... My mom refused to buy them for us. Finally our babysitter gave us each a pair for Christmas one year and after that my mom gave in.

I miss Lisa Frank Trapper Keepers (we were sooo cool) and Welch's grape soda. I know it's still around, but seeing one instantly takes me back to summers spent riding our bikes up to the corner gas station to spend our babysitting money on a 20 oz.

rach3975 11-05-2015 12:11 PM

I'm with Jennifer and Erin on how much easier it was to make friends. I don't know why it's so much harder now. I have lots of coworkers and fellow moms that I'm friendly with, but we never really make that jump into being true friends. Back when we were kids that transition would have happened easily. :(

Keely~B 11-05-2015 12:27 PM

Not paying bills. Summers with my grandparents.

I definitely rocked some Umbros too.

lovely1m 11-05-2015 01:22 PM

I miss getting on my bike and riding all over the place with friends and just having hours of exploring play.