Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   country mouse or city mouse (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39480)

KristinCB 02-17-2010 11:35 PM

country mouse or city mouse

just an odd random question of the night.. i had to go to the city today and was reminded how much i HATE cities! I live in a very small town and although sometimes annoying because you can't always get what you need right away I wouldn't change it for anything..

sooo are you a city girl or country girl? do you wish you were the opposite?

lauren grier 02-17-2010 11:38 PM

cityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Leila 02-17-2010 11:40 PM

I'm a bit of both, and where we live is too. We live in the more 'country' part of Madison and I love it! I also love being near to the city part and within a couple hours of larger cities too.

rochelle789 02-17-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauren grier (Post 609075)

Me too!

nanienamou 02-17-2010 11:42 PM

city! :)

of course, we do have a cottage for week-end, too! :p

Darcy Baldwin 02-17-2010 11:42 PM

I'm a country girl who wants to be just close enough to be able to drive to the city to see a movie or a show w/o making it an overnight time, but far enough away that I have no neighbors :)

scrapmonkey 02-17-2010 11:45 PM

I've lived in large cities such as Hong Kong and Houston; I've lived in the country where the only entertainment was a bar (only one for the whole town), a dog track and a roller skating rink and my yard sometimes had cows on it; I went to college where the college was the "town" and you had to drive 20 minutes to a grocery store (and very few students had cars); and I've lived in every gamut between. I've tried it all, and I have to say I'm a 'burbs gal, through and through.

isaacsmom 02-17-2010 11:56 PM

A grew up on the farm - had to drive an hour for the nearest Walmart or decent grocery store. Now I live in the city, and love it. My city is made up of all kinds of farm/country kids just like me who came here to college and never left...so, even though it is a city, it still feels kind of small townish to me. So I chose "a lil of both."

I don't think I would want to live in a city any larger than this one though!

sprauncey1 02-18-2010 12:10 AM

A little of both in the fact that I love being NEAR a big city, but not IN the big city. One hour or less away is perfect. Two hours is too far. That is where we are right now. And we live a big town, so its not like we are in the middle of nowhere, but we miss our big city shops and goings on.

jessica31876 02-18-2010 12:35 AM

I love the country. I get anxious when we go to downtown Orlando. The big buildings and traffic are so overwhelming. I generally avoid it unless I want to go to Lake Eola which is a large park in the middle of downtown Orlando

Christy Lyle 02-18-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauren grier (Post 609075)

Word

AmyM 02-18-2010 12:39 AM

Country, 100%. big surprise huh :p
It's weird, but if I look around and concrete is in every direction, I just don't feel right.

Darcy- Word.

Nettio 02-18-2010 01:07 AM

I'm definitely a city girl at heart. I love being where you can actually walk to cool shops and restaurants or hop on the train to get around. We lived in a loft-type apartment in the heart of Seoul and I loved that. It was great being able to walk like a block or two to the subway. We're over an hour from Denver here and I hate that it's so far. But I do :wub: Denver.

KirstieGai 02-18-2010 01:10 AM

a lil bit of both, I'd prefer to be half way so that I can have the best of both worlds :)

Julie Billingsley 02-18-2010 01:14 AM

suburb mouse. LOL I need to be near a big city, within 10 minutes of a big grocery store, and within 20 minutes of a hospital. But not actually IN a big city. I hate the traffic.

Balinda 02-18-2010 01:34 AM

prefer the country and only go the city for things we don't have here in our small town.

MandaT 02-18-2010 01:36 AM

C.O.U.N.T.R.Y. grew up in a small town, & still live in a small(er) town.

It's 15 miles into 'town', which only consists of a couple small grocery stores, gas stations, a few resturants, wal-mart, 3 stop lights & stretches for 3 miles. To get to any other kind of store (mall, Michaels, Jo-anns, home improvement, etc,) it's an hours drive in either direction.

although, visiting a city on occasion is fun.

eranslow 02-18-2010 01:50 AM

Definitely a city girl - but I can definitely enjoy the country in increments!

Makes me think of our honeymoon - we stayed at a cabin up in Northern Minnesota...it was so quiet and peaceful that we had to turn on the tv for background noise! (we lived in the Twin Cities at the time)

breakingbrie 02-18-2010 02:10 AM

I put other lol. I wouldn't want to live in a huge city, but I don't like living way out in the country either. Just give me your average everyday town close enough to both, and I'm happy.

juliemarie 02-18-2010 02:33 AM

All country and love it most of the time! There's 2 stoplights in the entire county. The nearest McDonald's is 35 miles away, which is in the next county.

Milmomma 02-18-2010 03:31 AM

I'm a city girl. Need my stores and taxi's. Grew up in the suburbs.

bellbird425 02-18-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin (Post 609082)
I'm a country girl who wants to be just close enough to be able to drive to the city to see a movie or a show w/o making it an overnight time, but far enough away that I have no neighbors :)

thats exactly me - suburbia is even becoimng too city for me - dont like neighbours in my pockets and having a smallish yard; and dont like having to contend with traffic and parking issues and just so many ppl when i go into town of any kind!

adrianka 02-18-2010 06:43 AM

I come from a city and now I've been living in a village-like town (though a capital of a country) for over 5 years. I never thought I might like a small town or even a village, but I find I can. Still, when I come back to my home town (OK, it's no New York, but Bratislava has over 600 000 inhabitants) I'm happy there. There are advantages to both. In the city, I appreciate its advantages, and I do the same in a smaller settlement.

Still, as many have mentioned, even in a village-like environment I like to be within reach of the city, because, frankly, I can't do without cinemas, theatres, restaurants, shops and such. It's nice to be away from the crowd, but not permanently away, no, no.

Lizzy257 02-18-2010 06:45 AM

I was born and raised in the city, now living ouside of it. I wouldn't quite call it country, but it's far from being the city! I like it like this, living in a quiet(ish) area, but close to the city.

SmallMoments 02-18-2010 07:40 AM

Definitely city. I love in a medium-sized town, but I LOVE going to Chicago & Indy. LOVE it. Especially Chicago.

disneyaddict 02-18-2010 08:41 AM

A little of both. I sort of live in the country (nearest Walmart is 30 minutes), but I've lived in DC suburbs as well as more medium sized cities (Cleveland, Cincinnati). I like the space and the fewer neighbors where we live now, but I love the conveniences of the cities and the "feel" of them. I guess I can live anywhere and love it.

nikkiARNGwife 02-18-2010 08:50 AM

I was born and raised in a rural area. VERY rural..like I had 28 people in my entire grade all through school. After college I moved to the city for a while (now Jackson, MS is definitely NOT New York or anything but..) I enjoyed it for the short time between college and when I got married. Then after marriage we moved to a small town which was nice and now we live back where I grew up in a rural area. So having had a little of them all I love where I am now. I'm definitely a country girl :)

MamaBee 02-18-2010 09:45 AM

I'm a little bit of both... I've never lived in a BIG city... but I do like what the "city" life has to offer vs. small town where I grew up. I like having choices in stores, restaurants, and activities to do. And I hate having to drive to get anywhere... but then I hate waiting in traffic.... :blink:

pewtertm 02-18-2010 10:01 AM

I've lived in cities my entire life (Houston & OKC)...but the older I get, the more I want out! Just not too far out.

We'd actually like to move to a smaller town nearby...far enough away from the crowds and hassle of the big city, but close enough to the museums, bookstores, etc.

kendallt 02-18-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leila (Post 609076)
I'm a bit of both

Me too! I grew up in the country and hated it! My family and I now live in a small city which is the absolute perfect size for me. Everything I could want is super-closeby (Well, except maybe a Costco...) without all the noise, crowds, and horrible traffic found in a large city.

heathergw 02-18-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley (Post 609163)
suburb mouse. LOL I need to be near a big city, within 10 minutes of a big grocery store, and within 20 minutes of a hospital. But not actually IN a big city. I hate the traffic.

This is exactly me

Andrea Gourley 02-18-2010 10:22 AM

I am a town mouse. I like streetlights, road markings and not being too far from IKEA or Marks and Spencer. I don't mind visiting the countryside but I need to be back in the town by bedtime. I don't like animals and wildlife unless it's on my terms so sometimes I prefer to look at the countryside but stay inside my car with the airconditioning on :lol:

1girl1boy 02-18-2010 10:57 AM

Put me somewhere in between. I like all the conveniences of city life but oh the traffic! I love the country life, but don't want my nearest grocery store to be 30 minutes away when I run out of milk.

Stacey42 02-18-2010 11:09 AM

I like living near a small city but still in the country. I grew up in a small town of 40,000. I now live in a county of 12,000. I don't like big cities because I am just not used to the all the people, the cars, the traffic, the tall buildings. They are nice to visit but I couldn't live with all the people right on top of me like that.

DawnMarch 02-18-2010 11:20 AM

I am more of a city girl, but I have lived in the country for small periods of time (my parents own a farm way out in the middle of nowhere) and I like that too. For me, right now, the suburbs is perfect - I can have the city stuff nearby with good restaurants, movies, shopping, and still have a yard where I can garden and the kids can play.

crecia27 02-18-2010 11:29 AM

Country girl stuck in the city here!

4noisyboys 02-18-2010 11:30 AM

I live in the burbs...and always have really, but I would choose the city over the country any ol day! I think country life would be ok for a few days, but I'd go stir crazy. My town is pretty big, we have everything you could possibly need just minutes away. I love the city!

Keely~B 02-18-2010 11:38 AM

I really enjoy visiting and spending time in the country but it would never be my choice to live in the country. I'm more of city or 'burb chick ;)

rach3975 02-18-2010 11:52 AM

I'm another suburban mouse. I've always lived within easy reach (20 min to an hour drive) of a major city (NYC, Boston, and Washington, DC). I love living in large suburbs--everything I need or want is close by, but there's lots of green space, houses with yards, and not too much traffic as long as you stay off the highways at rush hour. I don't think I could live in a major city or way out in the country.

carriesmom 02-18-2010 12:40 PM

I chose a lil of both, I grew up in burbs of both Houston and Phoenix. Went to school in Boston. So I have had the taste of city life and it is really convenient because everything is there. I know live in a smaller community and I love it here! We are well established and we know alot people around town. It is about 1 1/2 hours to Vegas if we ever needed to go. We have the requisite Walmart and Target. I would like a few more choices here but not in exchange for a bigger city. I hate traffic!

Lyd 02-18-2010 01:11 PM

A little of both. I grew up in a relatively small, close-knit community, and I LOVE it!!! But, we were only 10 minutes from Salt Lake City. SLC isn't the largest city by any means, but it's big enough to suit me - plenty going on and lots to do and see. I love being near SLC. And, when I worked in downtown SLC, I loved being there in the "middle of it all." But, I don't think I would want to live there. I love my quiet neighborhood in the suburbs.

wvasweetness 02-18-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

This is me!

livelys 02-18-2010 04:44 PM

I voted other 'cos I've almost always lived in small towns that were within easy travel distance of much bigger towns & cities (I'm only 50 minutes by train outside of London now).

I hate big city life (done that, been there) - can't cope with crowds always going in the oposite direction to me. My brother on the other hand can't get enough of life in London and thinks DH and I live in his equivalent of Hell....

kscwgirl 02-18-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley (Post 609163)

This. :D

WalkersMommy 02-18-2010 11:12 PM

I chose city because it's all I've ever known, but I would love to have what Darcy said :)

Quote:

scrappurple 02-18-2010 11:44 PM

I do not like living a half hour away from everything. I like the city. Sigh ... :)