Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are your top 3 favorite Christmas movies? (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89958)

craftytam 12-15-2018 02:39 PM

What are your top 3 favorite Christmas movies?

Our family loves watching movies together. The boys & I tend to chat during the movies (only at home, of course!), which drives hubby nuts, but it's our "family time". LOL! :D

I have a basket full of Christmas movies. One for every day from December 1 until December 24!! Now that my boys are older, they don't enjoy watching a Christmas movies as much, but we have added some more adult movies such as Die Hard to the basket.

I have a hard time choosing favorites, but the three I make sure to watch every year are:

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas
2. Elf
3. It's a Wonderful Life

What are your top three? And, do you ever watch them at other times than Christmas? Do you talk during movies, or does it drive you nuts?

Neverland Scraps 12-15-2018 02:43 PM

All of them :thumbup:
I watch Christmas movies ALL.YEAR.LONG :blink:

However my favorite, favorite, FAVORITE movie is The Christmas Card
https://www.countdownuntilchristmas....06-300x425.jpg

My kids watch Christmas movies, although not as much since we got rid of cable tv several years ago. They (we) loved watching the Countdown to Christmas on Hallmark. I miss Hallmark for that reason, but it's not worth adding another $150 on to our cable bill! :D

Do we talk--I don't remember the last time we sat down to watch a Christmas movie. We all watch them on our own. The kids watch them in the spare bedroom or their ipads/phones. Me, I play them in the background while scrapping, cleaning or doing something else.

craftytam 12-15-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1062938754)
All of them :thumbup:
I watch Christmas movies ALL.YEAR.LONG :blink:

However my favorite, favorite, FAVORITE movie is The Christmas Card
https://www.countdownuntilchristmas....06-300x425.jpg

My kids watch Christmas movies, although not as much since we got rid of cable tv several years ago. They (we) loved watching the Countdown to Christmas on Hallmark. I miss Hallmark for that reason, but it's not worth adding another $150 on to our cable bill! :D

Do we talk--I don't remember the last time we sat down to watch a Christmas movie. We all watch them on our own. The kids watch them in the spare bedroom or their ipads/phones. Me, I play them in the background while scrapping, cleaning or doing something else.

LOL!! It's a good way to stay in the Christmas spirit :)

Confession time... I have NEVER watched a Hallmark movie :blink: :eek: They always seem to mushy for me!

I live in a house with 3 guys... I can barely get them to watch Disney movies with me. AND...we've always only had one TV so that we have to be together to watch things. David just got a TV super cheap on FB Marketplace, so we have one in our room, but don't have the cable connected to it (don't want to spend the money). The boys have started watching movies on their phones, but what they watch are ones I don't really want to watch (they've gotten into artsy, deep movies).

Leablahblah 12-15-2018 06:20 PM

I love Christmas movies but every season I can't watch them all because I feel like I've seen them yesterday. I think I watch them every couple years.

Elf
Home Alone
Gremlins

there is also
Die Hard
White Christmas
Grinch
Bad Santa
A Christmas Story

rdjrneace 12-15-2018 07:03 PM

I do watch alot of the Hallmark movies but I guess my ones I absolutely must watch is:

Diehard series
Home Alone series (all 3 of them)
Christmas Vacation

I don't really enjoy the "cartoon" movies and I can't stand Will Farrell. I also don't really enjoy the "classic" ones. I am definitely an action movie lover.

SuzanneS 12-15-2018 07:51 PM

I go for classics. Miracle on 34th Street, White Christmas, and It's a Wonderful Life. I like to watch Sleepless in Seattle and While You Were Sleeping though, too [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Neverland Scraps 12-15-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdjrneace (Post 1062938792)
I do watch alot of the Hallmark movies but I guess my ones I absolutely must watch is:

Diehard series
Home Alone series (all 3 of them)
Christmas Vacation

I don't really enjoy the "cartoon" movies and I can't stand Will Farrell. I also don't really enjoy the "classic" ones. I am definitely an action movie lover.

I thought I was the only one.
That man drives me bonkers! My kids make fun of me all the time because they are always watching Elf and I get so annoyed! :D

Kiana 12-15-2018 08:44 PM

Great movies so far. We too watch Christmas movies all year long, we don't need a reason to watch a good movie. LOL

But my top faves
A Christmas Story
and all of the old cartoon and animated puppet movies,
Rudolph and the Misfit Toys, Jack Frost, Frosty, Charlie Brown, etc

karlimarie 12-15-2018 09:15 PM

Gah! Talking during movies drives me crazy!! But... only if it’s either the first time I’ve watched the movie, or it’s the first time I’m introducing it to someone else.

I’m not generally a fan of Christmas, but I do like Christmas movie and Christmas music. We don’t usually watch Christmas movies outside of December... but I could watch Elf all year long.

My husband is from Europe, so the first year we dated I decided that he needed a crash course in American culture. So, for seven days leading up to each holiday, we would do a movie marathon revolving around that holiday. I should really scrap a page about it!

Anyway, here’s my list from last year... not much has changed!! Though, Die Hard would make a great addition.

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...day-Movies.jpg

craftytam 12-15-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1062938810)
That man drives me bonkers! My kids make fun of me all the time because they are always watching Elf and I get so annoyed! :D

Elf is the only Will Ferrell movie that I enjoy. All the rest are extremely annoying!! Oh, wait... I lied. There's a serious movie that he's in that I was very surprised I liked. I can't think of the name right now.

craftytam 12-15-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlimarie (Post 1062938818)
Gah! Talking during movies drives me crazy!! But... only if it’s either the first time I’ve watched the movie, or it’s the first time I’m introducing it to someone else.

I’m not generally a fan of Christmas, but I do like Christmas movie and Christmas music. We don’t usually watch Christmas movies outside of December... but I could watch Elf all year long.

My husband is from Europe, so the first year we dated I decided that he needed a crash course in American culture. So, for seven days leading up to each holiday, we would do a movie marathon revolving around that holiday. I should really scrap a page about it!

Anyway, here’s my list from last year... not much has changed!! Though, Die Hard would make a great addition.

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...day-Movies.jpg

What a fun thing to do with your husband!! Your LO is awesome!!

karlimarie 12-15-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftytam (Post 1062938819)
Elf is the only Will Ferrell movie that I enjoy. All the rest are extremely annoying!! Oh, wait... I lied. There's a serious movie that he's in that I was very surprised I liked. I can't think of the name right now.

Stranger Than Fiction? I love that movie :wub:

3BluEyedBabi 12-15-2018 10:50 PM

1. White Christmas
2. Disney's A Christmas Carol
3. Christmas Vacation
4. It's A Wonderful Life
5. Home Alone
6. Home Alone 2

craftytam 12-15-2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlimarie (Post 1062938825)
Stranger Than Fiction? I love that movie :wub:

That sounds right!! Thanks, Karlimarie!

YepBrook 12-15-2018 11:08 PM

Aaron:
It’s a wonderful life
Muppet Christmas carol
A Christmas story

Ben:
Home Alone
Gremlins
Elf

Grace:
Muppet Christmas Carol
The Grinch
Elf

Me: (so hard to pick, I love them all!)
A Muppet Family Christmas
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Home Alone

Neverland Scraps 12-15-2018 11:39 PM

My oldest said, "I can't believe no one recommended 'The Santa Clause' movies!"

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...se_trilogy.jpg

AshleyMilfd 12-16-2018 12:05 AM

National Lampooonz Christmas vacation
The Grinch (both versions)

Rudolph _ the one that ABC aired every year

YepBrook 12-16-2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1062938843)

We love this one, too!

Leablahblah 12-16-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1062938810)

That's the only movie I really like in him otherwise yes, he's annoying! lol

Oh and Christmas with the Kranks is a good one too!

renatasluis 12-16-2018 03:25 PM

Miracle on 34 th street
Home alone 1 and 2
Santa clause 1

LeeAndra 12-16-2018 09:49 PM

(01) Charlie Brown Christmas (can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet!)
(02) Grinch (the 'real' animated one from my childhood)
(03) Elf

LeeAndra 12-16-2018 09:51 PM

P.S. I can't STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND talking when it's supposed to be quiet e.g. movies, plays, speeches, etc.

Unfortunately, I have no control over that at my house. If my son is awake, he is talking so I just don't watch movies with him that I've never seen before and/or I'm somehow invested in emotionally.

misfitinmn 12-16-2018 10:03 PM

Elf
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (the claymation one or bust!)
Home Alone

But I really love them all. Those are just the ones we always seem to make time to watch as a family and that's my favorite part.

craftytam 12-17-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps (Post 1062938843)

We love The Santa Clause movies! We actually watched them while putting up decorations this year.

Choosing a top 3 is tough...and probably changes from year to year, depending on what is going on IRL.

craftytam 12-17-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeAndra (Post 1062938977)
(01) Charlie Brown Christmas (can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet!)
(02) Grinch (the 'real' animated one from my childhood)
(03) Elf

Oh my goodness!! I haven't watched Charlie Brown Christmas in ages! I'll have to add that to my basket!

Laure 12-17-2018 03:18 PM

Awww... I love this tread. But it's hard to chose...
It's sad to say, but in France, Christmas movies are not a big tradition. I looooove Christmas movies. From december first to december 24, it's a christmas movie per day. My 3 favorites are :

The nightmare before Christmas
Miracle on 34th street (The one with Maureen O'hara and Nathalie Wood)
The polar express

but also :
A christmas carol (1938)
Love actually
Santa Clause (1, 2, 3)
Santa et Cie (a french one, at least :P)

aussiegirl 12-17-2018 06:17 PM

My top 3 Christmas movies are:
White Christmas
Christmas with the Kranks
It's a Wonderful LIfe

But I also like The Santa Clause movies, Miracle on 34th Street, and really ANY Christmas movie. I LOVE the Little House on the Prarie Christmas specials every year too!

aussiegirl 12-17-2018 06:19 PM

Add me to the "Can't Stand Will Ferrell" list! I don't like Elf just for that reason!

craftytam 12-17-2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laure (Post 1062939129)
Awww... I love this tread. But it's hard to chose...
It's sad to say, but in France, Christmas movies are not a big tradition. I looooove Christmas movies. From december first to december 24, it's a christmas movie per day. My 3 favorites are :

The nightmare before Christmas
Miracle on 34th street (The one with Maureen O'hara and Nathalie Wood)
The polar express

but also :
A christmas carol (1938)
Love actually
Santa Clause (1, 2, 3)
Santa et Cie (a french one, at least :P)

I have never seen Love Actually! It seems like people either totally love it or totally hate it! With hubby & two boys, I don't know if I'll ever see it! LOL!
My son is taking French 2 in high school. Sometimes the teacher gives extra credit if they watch French movies. I'm going to recommend this movie for him :wub:

g8rbeckie 12-18-2018 12:44 PM

Our family favorite is Disney's Prep and Landing! we watch them both every year with hot chocolate and popcorn. We also love Christmas Vacation and Elf. I grew up watching A Christmas Story (with Ralphie and "you'll shoot your eye out") but the kids never took to it the way they did these others!