Sweet Shoppe Community

Sweet Shoppe Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/index.php)
-   A Sweet Little Community (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need some big prayers and positivity (https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98484)

lorigaud 03-25-2024 06:03 PM

Need some big prayers and positivity

Kelly, my best friend of 53 years (we've literally known each other since we were 5) was diagnosed with brain cancer nearly 2 weeks ago, and the tests came back a few days ago so she now knows that she's dealing with a glioblastoma - literally the nastiest, most aggressive form of brain cancer there is. This is awful enough on its own, but it's coming on the heels of the death of her dad a few months ago. Kelly and her sister had spent the last several years taking care of him as he deteriorated from Parkinson's disease. Kelly's sister Kim was living with him as his primary caregiver, although Kelly lives just around the corner and helped out daily. I'm incredibly worried about both of them and completely heartbroken as they gear up to fight this cancer battle as best they can. Neither of them ever married, and they are each other's greatest support.

Kelly has her first meeting with the oncologist on Wednesday. My sister (a retired ER nurse) is going with them to help navigate whatever the doctor tells them.

If you're inclined to pray, please hold Kelly and Kim in your thoughts. I'm trying my best to stay positive but it's so hard. Cancer just sucks.

MamaBee 03-25-2024 06:14 PM

Oh no... I'm sorry - Lifting her and your families up in prayers!

KristinCB 03-25-2024 06:20 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this Lori. That has to be so hard. Especially to have a friend as long as you have, wow. So good that you have a sister with the knowledge and ability to go to the appt.

Scrap-therapy 03-25-2024 06:52 PM

I just see your message Lori and I feel so sorry to read this. Cancer really sucks.
Your friend Kelly and her sister Kim are in my prayers and my thoughts. I will pray for you too. Lots of courage and love in this difficult moment.<3

HeyJude 03-25-2024 06:53 PM

That is devastating, Lori. Maybe the Dr's appt. can bring them some hope with the treatment plan. She is lucky to have a life-long friend like you for support, as well as her sister. Sending lots of positive vibes your way.

amyjcaz 03-25-2024 08:37 PM

My son rides a motorcycle and he had CANCER SUCKS embroidered onto his riding jacket... it totally does and I am so so sorry to hear about your friend. We are a praying family and will remember her!

tjscraps 03-25-2024 10:16 PM

That is such hard news - sending my thoughts & prayers

lorigaud 03-25-2024 10:57 PM

Thank you all. We live close.... like walking distance, so I told her that she might get sick of seeing me, but she's going to have to deal with it. ;) Tomorrow I'm bringing Girl Scout cookies. Tracey M gave me some great advice about not being the crying friend. I am embracing that and will continue to do my best to keep Kelly in a positive mindset. Thankfully I have a ton of support that I can lean on too. I'm sure we're all going to need it.

nietis 03-25-2024 10:57 PM

How devastating :(
Lifting you and your friends in my prayers, Lori. Biggest hugs to you.

AmieN1 03-25-2024 11:01 PM

Big hugs! That's so nice that your sister is going with to the appointment- I can only imagine the information overload- so nice to have an extra person there to help ask questions. So sorry for this news for your friend!

Saar 03-26-2024 10:11 AM

I'm so sorry to read this, Lori. Big hugs.
But can I say... You are such a good friend for helping out as much as you can. She is lucky to have you in her life.
I truly believe that staying positive will help her. But cancer sucks, big time.

bienejen 03-26-2024 10:27 AM

That's a lot for one family to bear. I'm so sorry for your friend and for you. She's lucky to have a friend like you and a medical resource in your sister. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

LJSDesigns 03-26-2024 10:44 AM

Adding my prayers to all the others. I hate cancer so much.

3BluEyedBabi 03-26-2024 11:12 AM

I'm so very sorry to hear this, Lori. Big hugs to all of you.

wendyp 03-26-2024 11:40 AM

prayers and hugs for all of you

Lidia G 03-26-2024 11:59 AM

Prayers, thoughts and hugs to all of you during this difficult time.

jaye 03-26-2024 01:29 PM

Lori I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Sending good wishes to your friend that the oncologist comes up with a treatment plan that will make her comfortable.

KingsQueen82 03-26-2024 02:42 PM

So sorry to hear such terrible news for your friend! I truly do believe in the power of prayer and I will add her (and you too!) to my own prayers! Sending you all lots of love and healing vibes!

aussiegirl 03-26-2024 04:47 PM

Prayers for your friend, her sister, you and the doctors as she goes through this hard time!

stephc777 03-26-2024 06:18 PM

Prayers being lifted up for your friend, her sister and you as she navigates this diagnosis. Hugs!

JillW 03-26-2024 07:23 PM

I'm sure sorry to hear the devastating news and will be praying. Sending you hugs as well.

tanyiadeskins 03-27-2024 04:18 PM

I am so very sorry to hear this, I will include her and her family in my prayers. Cancer is just awful.

jumbbumble 03-28-2024 04:19 AM

I am so sorry to hear this, I will pray for her

knittingbec 03-28-2024 09:26 AM

I'm so sorry your friend (and you) are going through this! One of my mom's oldest/dearest friends is battling cancer right now, so I know how this diagnosis has a big impact on you, too. I hope the appointment went well and has given all of you some hope. Sending prayers & positive thoughts your way!

lizziej 03-28-2024 07:26 PM

Oh, my goodness! I'm so sorry to read this. I will be keeping all of you in my prayers!

lorigaud 03-28-2024 08:17 PM

Thank you all SO much! The appointment yesterday went well - the doctor is amazing and gave Kelly some hope and relief that she's not going to die tomorrow, if that makes sense. I think she is so overwhelmed and just was thinking the worst, which is totally understandable. There's a treatment plan in place and hopefully positive thinking will go a long way towards helping her live the best life she can for as long as she can.

Scrap-therapy 03-30-2024 04:15 PM

Oh this is better news Lori, thank you for telling us. I hope the treatment will help her and for sure the relief must be so helpful with the hope of course. I still pray for her and you and the positive thinking is great. She is lucky to have you as friend!:wub:

craftytam 03-31-2024 01:19 PM

I'm so sorry, Lori. I will be praying.

kelseyll 03-31-2024 07:13 PM

I am glad the Dr. was able to lift her spirits some. I truly believe in the power of prayer and all of you will be in mine!!! Being the "light" in her life and lifting her up each day with smiles and laughter, keeping a positive outlook and all will make her days brighter! Thank you for being THAT friend for her! I'm glad she has a good support group surrounding her!

Josie 04-01-2024 11:33 AM

So sorry to hear this! Sending my thoughts & prayers to Kelly and Kim and their families!

StacyLynn 04-03-2024 01:46 PM

Sending lots of prayers and hugs!!